Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a slight noise coming from the front of the engine.
A sort of whine. Increases with higher revs.
I have used a listening stick and that seems to indicate the noise is coming from the alternator. When placed on the engine block there is no similar sound.
What I cant determine is if the noise is coming from the tensioner pully or the alternator. I cannot get the listening stick on the adjuster.
The belt is not shiny and there are no signs of wear.
There is no squealing.
The Haynes manual is quite useless. Too many engine options and too little detail if written about.
Questions are:
1) How can I find out exactly what is making the noise?
2) Have i missed something and should be looking elsewhere?
3) Is it difficult to change the adjuster?
4) Any tips for this work alternator/tensioner ?*
5) Are there any bolts I need to purchase when replacing the either the alternator or tensioner?

*I did watch on YT a guy change the adjuster on a Pug. 1.9 Partner van. There was little room and so he had to remove the engine mounts. I hope i would not have to do that! I know it is a different vehicle and different engine
I also have found this thread which suggests there is no tensioner. I may need a special tool to do that if there is no tensioner

·
9,036 Posts
Take the belt off and see if the noise goes. then spin each pulley etc in turn

·
9,036 Posts
2.0 110 HDI is SOHC 8v in the 307

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies so far. When it is not so hot outside I may have to take some photos of the engine and read the engine number. Getting older and my body has reactions to very high temps.
I am a bit concerned that if I have an engine where there is a need for that special tool if I removed the belt I may not be able to get the belt back on immediately.
Looking at the timing belt cover I am sure I have twin cammed engine. But that does not seem to relate to how the belt is tensioned.
This engine designation is a bit of a mess. Haynes writes about 2.0 litre diesels. It is also says that there are two types of engine designation; DW10TD and DW10ATED. However, there are codes(which are engine numbers) One is RHY which has max power output of 66kw The RHZ is 81kw. Nether refer (or the torque figures) relate to the 110.

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
The top of the head should be the giveaway as to number of cams I would have thought being wider and flatter than a single cam. From pdg entry the figures point to SOHC as the twin cam knocks out 100kw according to Haynes!

·
9,036 Posts
What are digits 6-8 of the VIN that will give us the engine code RHY, RHS etc

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Been outside, still around 30 deg at nearly 9 in the evening here. 🥵

Photo 1 I do have an adjuster. The markings are visible too.

Photo 2 The belt looks in good condition.

Photo 3 Sorry guys got it wrong I have a single cam engine.

Photo 4. Haynes states the engine number is stamped on a plate front of cylinder block, next to oil filter.

Photo 5 All I seem to have to have to is a whole load of pipes.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Take the belt off and see if the noise goes. then spin each pulley etc in turn
Hi all
A word of caution. MOST modern engines with a damper pulley shouldn't be run without the serpentine belt on! Doing that will irreversibly damage the damper pulley. Please consult your technical manual about the subject.

Right now I've got, in the workshop a DCI (Renault) pulley to replace, because of that. Engine run less than a minute! In spite of stopping immediately, replaced the belt but the famous pulley "knock, knock" made it's loud entrance on the scene. Well 100€ gone and more work!
Note to self, leave a well visible "don't start" message on the steering wheel when the work take more than a day... ;-)

BTW Engine code can be easily identified on the VIN number.
Cheers

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I took the belt off. Hardly any space to work in. No noticeable sound when moving the tensioner, alternator or the "guide wheel", which sits near the alternator. The pulley for the air con has some play.
There is no difference to the sound when there is a load on the air con or the alternator.
So I may end up changing the alternator, belt and tensioner. The car has done nearly 300,000kms and from those 3 items only the belt has been changed, during normal servicing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts