Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Because of the new member in our family, we are going to be needing a bigger car.
I have found two 307s, both SW and similar spec but one is 1.6 16v petrol and the other 2.0 automatic. Both are end of 2007.

The question:
which one is better? I have mostly motorway trips (130km-140km/h) so noise is very important (or better to say lack of it).
Does anybody know at what rpm will both of these be doing at those speeds (around 80mph)?
Performance wise, are they similar? (I am guessing the 4 speed auto will kill the HP difference the 2.0 has over the 1.6?)
How about the reliability of the 4 speed auto gearbox?

Anything else I should be careful about?
They both have similar mileage on the clock (about 120.000km)

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nobody has a petrol 307?
all diesels here?
how about automatic? I am pretty sure both diesels and petrol share the same 4 speed automatic...any words on that gearbox?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Can't comment on a 2l version but I am happy with my 1.6l petrol.

I've had some of the usual issues with it but has generally proven to be reliable. The car lacks a bit of poke at times but that is compared to the firms Merc E class and the wife's 208gti. The economy is good. Any issues have generally been easy to fix.

·
Registered
96 Posts
As both fuel types are respectable, I think the bottom line could be about annual costs, so some sums are required.

Vehicle + road tax + annual fuel + servicing & maintenance = I'll go for that one :lol:

My annual mileage is low, so I went for petrol.

·
Registered
14,259 Posts
Both 1.6 and 2 litre petrol engines are reasonably reliable 1.6 will be a little better on fuel but maybe not with the auto box which is not the best box in the world and can fail at very low miles partly due to overheating due to Peugeot saying its sealed for life !!

Me I would have the 2 litre manual.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 01/2005 1.6 307 sw petrol manual. I do about 100 miles a week, getting about 37.5 MPG according Trip computer and about 40 MPG on a run of 50 ish miles each way.
Not done a longer run yet but recon 42 ish would be max towing a trailer tent at lower speeds.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a 2007 2ltr petrol Wagon 4speed auto with 90,000 klm and had it since new.
Had tranny issues after 30,000klm and after repair been ok since. Only other problem was engine mounts which I replaced. It has been virtual trouble free with only normal servicing , oil changes etc. We get around 8ltrs per 100 klm around Sydney traffic.

Only concerns I would have with buying another would be checking the auto box.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a 2007 2ltr petrol Wagon 4speed auto with 90,000 klm and had it since new.
Had tranny issues after 30,000klm and after repair been ok since. Only other problem was engine mounts which I replaced. It has been virtual trouble free with only normal servicing , oil changes etc. We get around 8ltrs per 100 klm around Sydney traffic.

Only concerns I would have with buying another would be checking the auto box.
Great thanks for this

Can you tell me how much the car goes on final speed (4th that is) at 1000 rpm?
I am asking because if 3000rpm means around 120-130 km/h then that is good news for my ears :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hi guys,

Because of the new member in our family, we are going to be needing a bigger car.
I have found two 307s, both SW and similar spec but one is 1.6 16v petrol and the other 2.0 automatic. Both are end of 2007...>>>>>>
Thanks!
Definitely go for the 2.0 litre auto.....a far more relaxed motorway cruiser, better fuel economy and better torque....why would you bother with a maual, the ZF HP20 4 speed
is a good reliable transmission....our has just completed 165,000klm with no major dramas.
We had the oil in trans changed about 20k ago.
If you're gonna bee lugging family stiff and kids around, the bigger engine is much more effortless.
Change oil every 10,000klm and filter, clean plugs once a year, change timing belt every 80K
Keep electrical connections clean, battery on good charge as these cars do not like a battery that's below par.
Other than normal servicing and repacing the occassional part...no dramas and we're happy ;o))

1 - 14 of 14 Posts