Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Peugeout 307 SW 1.6 Hdi and have noticed that one of the injectors has some type of harden black expoy like material around it (see attached)? Could you help or advise? The car starts up OK, just seems to miss a little.

Thanks, Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no error codes on my dashboard and have not yet taken to the garage for any diagnostics.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, none of these guys are near me.

The hard expoxy like stuff is carbon, some of it breaks off. Do you think I should apply some cleaning agent (say Mr Muscle) in the region? Once I have cleaned the carbon, I will be able to see where the leak is from. I get the impression this is quite common, do you agree?

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
Problem with cleaning it is maybe more leaking, the car could throw on the engine management light and stop on you if its a major leak , is there no small independent garage near you that could give you a cheap reading ?
Saying that, it will more than likely say injector leaking so you`ll have to change it ,but you do need to get it on a diagnostic machine to make sure.

Might be cheaper buying your own diagnostics since we have no-one in that area ,advertise and make a few quid,dunno if any of that helps you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did take it to the garage, yes it will need cleaning, than an appriasal will be carried out. Garage suggest I clean of the carbon (coke) and they can investigate. I forgot the ask the garage what I should use to clean/break down the carbon.

Hence, my question - what should I use?

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
could use redex on a rag, it supposedly cleans the carb from your engine internals so using it on a rag may remove the carbon from the external parts...not sure if this is advisable, but if it were me i'd give it ago...then again there isnt much i wouldn't do.

may cost a bit but if it does the job :lol:

·
Registered
488 Posts
This black carbon substance is coming from one or more of the injectors
leaking past compression tru the copper washer seals.

The seals can be got from Peugeot and i think the work out around
15-20euro for all four seals....
I had the same issue with one of my injector seals,It takes alittle time
to remove the black carbon from around the injector,when thats done
you have to remove the commonrail pipes and injector connectors.
Remember there anything upto 1200bar pressure on the commonrail when the engine is running......so after the engine is turned off wait for a 20mins or so.
some of these injectors can be difficult to remove so if you don't feel up to it then i guess your local mechanic may help out...
when the injector is removed you will find a copper washer on bottom were the injector sits into.
The only issue with driving it for to long it may damage the bottom where the seal sits into the head..so don't leave it to long...

On the diagram No 7 is the copper injector seal,
8 is a protector and 9 is an oil seal....i think when you order the seals they all come in a kit.
Ron.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the information, I do appreciate it. I am a first time user to forums per se, and find the Peugeot Forum to be very useful.

I will contact the Peugeot Dealers tommorow and let the forum know how I got on.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As I am going to pick up the injectors seal kit from the dealers tommorrow, can anyone help with how best to clean the injectors? Do I purchase an additive cleaner?

Additionally only one injector (#4) has carbon depoist around it, with the engine running you get a chuffing noise only from this injector, so do I replace the seals on all four injectors or just the suspect one?

:(

·
Registered
144 Posts
If it was me just do #4
if it aint broke dont fix it
apart from scraping and polishing not to sure
BUT DONT DAMAGE THE SEAT AREA
Don

·
Registered
488 Posts
Bob1961 said:
As I am going to pick up the injectors seal kit from the dealers tommorrow, can anyone help with how best to clean the injectors? Do I purchase an additive cleaner?

Additionally only one injector (#4) has carbon depoist around it, with the engine running you get a chuffing noise only from this injector, so do I replace the seals on all four injectors or just the suspect one?

:(
Bob1961.
I had the same problem...one injector leaking past so i only replaced one seal and gave the other 3 a squeese....no 12 in dia

Before i removed the injector i cleaned as much carbon from around the area as possible with a scriber/sharp pointed screwdriver etc..I then used a 8mm tube connected (reduced) onto a hover to such away all the broken up carbon from around the injector base..you could use an airline to blow it all away but be careful not to let any sh_t into the inlet connection of the injector...:eek:
i used a finger from a rubber glove positioned over the injector connection to keep it clean.
You will need allen keys....e-torx sockets..a set of spanners...a long scriber or welding rod with a sharp 90 deg turn at the end pointed.
I removed the injector wireing connections(4)...3 allen key screws that keep the injector harness in position,the injector pipe from the the injector and removed no 12 in the diagram.
With the e-torx positioned onto the top of no 11 i unscrewed (anticlockwise) a few turns and then the other one a few turns and kept going from one to the other which will "jack" up the injector from the head.
when the injector is removed you should see the injector seal (copper washer) on the the bottom of the head (mine was blackish covered with carbon)... I then used a welding rod (2.5mm) as my scriber could not reach down far enough...:rolleyes: I then bent a sharp 90 turn on my welding rod and pointed the tip to remove the old copper washer.
Once the copper washer was removed i placed some fine sand paper on the end of a 3/8 socket extention and cleaned up the carbon from around the base of the head by turning it clockwise/anticlockwise.
I then hovered the area again fitted new copper washer fitted injector and its been fine since...:)...(+35k)
i think when they injectors are first fitted the are torqued to a value...but with engine temps riseing from cold to hot there will be a certain amount of expansion/contraction between copper and aluminium materials which will eventually cause problems.
It maybe no harm giving no 12 a squeese now and then.
Hope it helps...Ron.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I tried to remove injector #4 today, but it is surrounded by a lot of carbon. I was told that if I put some COKE (yes, the brand Coke that is drank) around the injector for a few days, it will break up the carbon. So I have done just that! Do you think this is sensible?
:confused:

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
wouldnt the sugar in the drink turn into toffee and other stickey substance when the engine is on and gets heated up?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts