Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All

My stepson has a 307 SW 1.6 HDI with the usual "Anti Pollution" message on the dash.

He has recently had a new turbo fitted, after reading on here, I thought the best way to save him a few quid would be for me to invest in a Lexia 3/Diagbox as most of the mechanics who looked at it cannot do a great deal for him regarding reading or clearing codes with the kit they have.

So anyway, here are the results of using my new Lexia 3/Diagbox (was a real pig to install):p.

P0422 (Particulate filter, max number reached)
P1351 (Relay supplied and plugs never supplied)
P0234 (Turbo flow too high or intermittent)
P0484 (Cooling function integrated into ECU (fan unit) Open circuit or temperature too high).

I am confused with the last error as his fan is working.

Anyway, after a lot of reading on here, I have decided the first thing to do is deal with the P1351 Glow Plug issue, a local mechanic has quoted £40 labour only to do this (we supply the plugs which will be Bosch from Euro Car Parts).

Reading on here suggests probably the plugs are the root problem as the regen process will not work with this error so best deal with this first, do others think this is best way to deal with all the errors first?

We did also first have P1434 (additive pump open circuit) but sorted this (wires off the pump as it more or less fell off) and after fixing and clearing all codes, this one does not come back on, but the other 4 codes come back after just 20 mins of driving.

After plugs are done, should we also have a go at cleaning the DPF or give it a few days to see if the regen now kicks in and clears the DPF?

Do I need to do anything with Diagbox after the plugs are changed?

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Regards
Boswell;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds like a plan

how do you know the fan works?
Well I am guessing it means the rad cooling fan, and I can hear it running after a run, even when the ignition is switched off, and it eventually stops running when engine cooled down.

Regards
Boswell

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I've not seen the maximum number reached thing with the DPF. I'm guessing that it means it's gone past a certain number of regens. If this is the case, then I imagine that there would be a way to reset this counter, but I can't say I've seen it on PP.

It may be worthwhile taking the DPF off and giving it a visual once over and a good clean.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Just had a look on my list of P codes, and the P0422 is supposed to relate to the cat, (efficiency below threshold). So I'd probably take both the cat and dpf off and give them a once over. Some models have a single, integrated cat and DPF, do you'd need to check to see which model you have first

·
Registered
648 Posts
Looks to me like there are 2 problems. 1 is probably the high speed fan relay or related wiring (you can test that with Planet) and 2 is the glow plugs. Both have to be fully functioning along with several other factors for a regen to work. I would think your DPF is now blocked and is causing back pressure on the turbo, hence the turbo error code.
As suggested, I would physically check the Cat and DPF, easy if it's a split unit, DPF is the lower half. Also check the operating of the high speed fan via Planet.
Glow plugs on the 1.6 are a bit of a pain to do, took me 3 hours, mainly because of access at the back of the engine and the need to remove the EGR pipe. Getting the engine nice and warm first can help, mine came out fairly easy but some can be stubborn and even snap in the head.

After sorting the plugs and fan issue I would try the Italian tune up regen method, good bit of road, constant 60+ in fourth for 20 - 30 minutes. Make sure you have at least 1/4 tank of fuel. Recheck with Planet then report back here:) Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

I was maybe a bit vague with the P0422 error as I forgot the actual wording (and got it slightly wrong), but just remembered I took a screen shot so here is the correct wording.

P0422 Regeneration not completed
Cause Local
Status Permanent fault
Fault characterisation Regeneration request too frequently

Also, the screenshot is enclosed.

Where can I test the fan relay in Diagbox?

Regards
Boswell

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
If you already know then sorry, but make sure you have adhered to the post-turbo-replacement oil changes!

The glow plug fault comes on a lot of HDI's, but I think I'm right in saying that on cars with a DPF (as the 1.6 does) glow plugs are needed for a successful regen so that may be part of the problem (ie ECU keeps trying to do a regen but dodgy glow plugs means it can't hence the regen requested too frequently message)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to add, I just noticed from the screen shot that it shows the engine coolant temperature to be 108'C. (in list of associated variables).

This seems a bit high?

The dash temperature gauge is not showing high and the fan deffo runs.

Regards
Boswell

·
Registered
196 Posts
PP can sometimes show odd values (like battery voltage 5V with engine off on mine!, or 0.00V on yours!). I'd watch the coolant temp on live data when you start engine from cold. I'm not sure on the exact sensor arrangement but the ECU might get a different temp reading than the dash - but not sure.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Do a global test in Diagbox then I think the test for the fan are under the injection/engine ECU. Can't remember exactly as it doesn't come up too often on the cars I've been asked to do diags on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ok, thanks all.

He tells me it has had 3 oil changes since the turbo replacement.

The 307 is having new bosch plugs fitted on Thursday, so I'll get him to bring it down in the evening and I'll put Diag back on it.

I'll check the glow plug error has gone and try and test the fan, but I'm a bit new to using Diag and finding my way around the software.

Any other clues what to look for with the fan? I am a leccy by trade and have a fluke meter to do any testing that anyone can suggest?

:thumb:
Regards
Boswell

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Done a bit more research into the fan issue and found what I hope is the correct drawing.

It looks like the fan is 2 speed, the fan relay module appears to have 2 relay coils and 2 respective relay contacts, one contact goes through a resistor for the reduced speed, the other does not (full speed contact).

Both relay coils have a permanent 12v feed (via fuse box), and another control module (main ECU?) supplies an earth path to the required relay coil for required fan speed?

Also another connection from the output of the fan control module, via a resistor to the overall control module. I guess for diagnostic feedback of what the fan is actually being supplied with (speed 1 or 2)?

Anyway, will post up findings tomorrow after the glow plugs have been changed and have tried diagbox again.

I have also installed MS C++ SP1 2008 as I read this is needed for full diagnostics of diagbox as it looked like some features are not fully working on my lappy XP sp3 install.

Feedback to follow, but any other pointers appreciated.

Regards
Boswell

·
Registered
648 Posts
Yes it's 2 speed and with mine it was the high speed fan relay that needed swapping out as high speed has to be working for a regen. Relay was £23(!) from the dealers, sure you can find it cheaper. I would try removing and cleaning the contacts of both relays before parting with any cash.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some progress.

He got the Glow plugs done today and brought the car down.

I hooked up Diagbox and found where to test the cooling fan high and low speeds (in actuator test).

When testing, the Fan worked fine on high speed but didn't run on low speed, although I could hear the relay click when trying low speed.

Had to remove the front panel, then in front of the radiator is a control module that can be removed with 1 screw, and 2 plugs.

The module can be opened up by removing 6 tiny torx screws, inside is a small PCB with 2 relays on it, so gave the contacts some exercise with a terminal screw driver and a dosing of WD40, connected it back up without the cover and tried it, the fan now runs at low speed.

On the back of this module is a large wire wound resistor (in a coil shape) for the low speed. This fault must have been on for some time as it smoked very slightly for a few secs as oil and road muck burnt off it. I put everything back together and tested and fan runs fine every time. For info, when the fan is selected for high speed, it runs at low speed for a few secs then high speed contacts kick in, I assume to help the fan start up without too much load.

So, we cleared all faults, ran it for a bit then read faults. The Fan and Glowplug faults did not come back :)

However got 3 other faults.

1. P0422 Regeneration Not Completed. Regeneration requested too frequent.

I was expecting this one as the car has not had chance to regen yet I guess.

But the other 2 faults are more or less the same thing, just reported twice which is P1434, the additive pump. Confused as we thought we fixed this 2 weeks ago.

Enclosed is the actual print-off with cut and paste to show the 2 ways the fault is reported by Diag.

I would appreciate some suggestions as I am confused with the "Power Stage" description. Does it mean open circuit of the actual pump or an issue with what operates it?

Report below.

Regards
Boswell

Attachments

·
Registered
648 Posts
I think it just means it detected an open circuit when trying to apply power to the additive pump to inject additive. If you turn off the car and remove the fuel cap for 10 seconds or so the ecu assumes that you have fueled up so that when you start the car it commands the additive part of the ecu (if bosch) to fire up the additive pump to add a fixed amount of additive to the fuel tank.
You can test that too using Diagbox and listening for the pump activating.

·
Registered
15,147 Posts
Sometimes with lots of failed regens the system goes to sleep if it has a separate additive ecu unlugging it then plugging it back in seems to reset it assuming you dont have an open circuit at pump of course :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks, 2 good suggestions there, didn't realize I could test the pump with Diag.

How can I tell if it is Bosch system or something else?

All I know is that Diag communicates via CAN and not VAN on this 307 (diagnostic socket is behind centre console, not next to steering wheel).

Also, I can remote to a m8's PC who has Autodata, looking at this it shows the 307 should have a module behind the glove box for the additive pump, I have had the glove box out, there are fuses and plugs, but cannot find anything that looks like a module for controlling the additive pump. However Autodata doesn't seem to be correct at a lot of things for this 307 SW.

I have crawled under the rear, found the wiring from the fuel cap switch that runs along side the filler pipe and found a connector. I have had this connector off and confirmed the cap switch works using my meter while stepson has removed/refitted the fuel cap.

Regards
Boswell

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks

I certainly cannot see anything like that behind the glove box.

Also, I just entered the car details into that page and it comes back saying..

This item does not fit Peugeot 307 SW 2006 3H [2002-2015] Estate 1.6 HDI 110.

So looks like additive pump control is integrated into the main ECU?

Just Autodata says the opposite but it doesn't specifically list a 307 SW.

Thanks Boswell

Peugeot 307 HDI DPF Diesel particulate filter Control ECU 01-07 FREE P&P | eBay

Thats what the ecu looks like but im not sure if the 1.6 is integrated into engine ecu.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts