Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all top of my coild has snapped and i see that there is a large nut under the wiper arm im guessing you undo that to remove from the chassis leg, but is there another nut below that to compress the spring, also is there any risk with the driveshaft coming out or will thatbe ok as the wishbone and hub are still connected

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
You have to take the complete strut out to change the spring. I think you can remove the strut from the hub carrier ant take it out that way. If not a bit more work is involved removing the calliper, disc, track rod and bottom ball joint. Nothing a competent diy mechanic couldn't do, but you will need good quality spring compressors.

Roger.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about the big nut at the top under the wiper arm once I've undone that and remove the strut is there then another but below it compressing the spring

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are there any picture/diagrams anywhere tried looking on pug servicebox buy you have to pay and Haynes is not much use

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
To add to the previous, make sure the spring compressors are securely on before touching the nut or bits could go flying at a tremendous pace.

I needed two sets of spring compressors to put the new springs on. One set on it's own wouldn't open up enough to allow the spring to be compressed enough to put it back together. Had to compress the spring with one set then use the second set to fasten onto the coils below those that the first set were on. (If that makes sense).

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a hydraulic type compressor I borrowed I'm guessing that's ok to use as not keen on the old style hook types

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
The old style hook type compressors can and do slip round the coils. As long as the one you have can open enough to get close to the outer coils on the uncompressed spring to compress it enough to fit it back together you'll be ok. You'll only find out for sure when you try it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yea lost one once. Flew across the garage and made a nice dent in the wall. Scary stuff, threw away the cheap hook style compressors after.

Basicly take the whole strut out and be careful. Those things can seriously hurt yuu.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, the driveshaft will move out of the gearbox slightly whilst removing your strut assembly, and allow gearbox oil to leak out, so suggest you secure it in by strapping or something similar which will retain its position in the gearbox. Refilling the gearbox is a real pain if you loose oil from it. Mick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts