Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After just joining the forum, I feel wrong asking for advice straight away, but I have hit a brick wall with my 307 2.0 HDI.

Basically on the way home from work 3 weeks ago, the engine just died. No bangs, no cloud of smoke out the back, just stopped working. Had to get towed home.

The starter turns the engine over ok, but just don't start up. I asked for advice from a breakdown mechanic, he said try easy start spray. It worked great, but when I stopped spraying into the air inlet the engine just died again. So tried the spray again, it started, but no response from the throttle. Again stopped spraying, engine stopped.

So I am assuming that I have a fault with the fuel system, i.e. not pushing fuel up to the injectors.

I am stuck at the moment, having to use my VW camper everyday at the moment. Any advice would be greatful.

Never really thought about how reliable the 307 was, till it broke down.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi

A you need number of things for your HDI to start you need crank/cam to be in sink, min fuel rail pressure, immo pass, min 10.5volts cranking ect.

The best way check cam belt and that fuel is getting to HP pump, after that get someone to plugin PP2000 it will workout much quicker.

Thanks Vpug

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

I have my own diagnostic tester, but it won't register on my car, works on other cars though.

If my crank/cam were out of sink, would it still start with the easy start spray?

I also tried pumping the rubber manual fuel pump, but that's already solid, i.e. already pressure in the system.

I have PM'd a local member to see if he can help.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi
When you say start if it just runs on easy start when spaying and stop seconds after spraying, all that tells you is you have compression.
Is the mill light on.

Thanks Vpug

Thanks guys.

I have my own diagnostic tester, but it won't register on my car, works on other cars though.

If my crank/cam were out of sink, would it still start with the easy start spray?

I also tried pumping the rubber manual fuel pump, but that's already solid, i.e. already pressure in the system.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, we did have clutch problems, think it will need changing soon, pedal is very hard to push down, but always has been since we bought the car.

What is the mill light.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Thanks guys.

YOU NEED planet

Probably not but its not starting anyway its just burning the easy start

Only planet will give you the correct answers

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi

Sorry engine light telling you problem will engine or any faults showing on the screen.
Thanks Vpug

Yes, we did have clutch problems, think it will need changing soon, pedal is very hard to push down, but always has been since we bought the car.

What is the mill light.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
If you have clutch issues then remove the crank sensor and make sure its still in one piece as this may be why its not going try this first before causing any more trouble by opening injectors etc

It is in top of bellhousing bellow vac pump assuming its 2 litre

If it is broken then a replacement will get engine running but the clutch is the cause of it breaking

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No engine light at the time of breakdown. When I tried starting it afterwards it eventually can up on the display "eco mode enabled". This go"s off after removing the battery over night.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will check the crank sensor tomorrow, weather permitting. Battery is connected now.

Would still like someone local to have a look at it. Don't think changing the clutch is within my limits.

·
Registered
117 Posts
HI
To coming to a stop on the move like that it could be as simple as fuel filter if it had been a bosch pump or a crank sensor I would expect to see engine light.
Plug in is the way to go but if you have not change the fuel filter in sometime no harm in changing anyway.
The eco mode is just the saving power to stop to much drain.

Thanks Vpug

No engine light at the time of breakdown. When I tried starting it afterwards it eventually can up on the display "eco mode enabled". This go"s off after removing the battery over night.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
He has stated he has primed the fuel and the bulb is hard so fuel is unlikely to be the issue

Without plugging in everything is guesswork but since he has stated the clutch is troublesome then crank sensor is my best guess it has not ran since so no light will be on.

1 of our taxis died today timing belt issue as cam and crank no sync and engine turns fast but no engine light even after cranking not all faults give a light

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi
Yes primer is before the filter housing so if the filter is blocked the primmer would feel hard.
But yes as I keep saying plug in.
I have seen crank shaft sensors damaged by DMF and clutch plates breaking up but if you crank over and you do not get sink mil light will come on.

Thanks Vpug

He has stated he has primed the fuel and the bulb is hard so fuel is unlikely to be the issue

Without plugging in everything is guesswork but since he has stated the clutch is troublesome then crank sensor is my best guess it has not ran since so no light will be on.

1 of our taxis died today timing belt issue as cam and crank no sync and engine turns fast but no engine light even after cranking not all faults give a light

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys.

I have opened the fuel supply either side of the fuel filter and I have got pressure on both sides, i.e. going into the filter and coming out, so filter seems ok.

I've taken the sir filter box out this morning to get better access. I can't see the crank sensor, but found the speed sensor, that looks ok. I've had someone press the clutch down while I watched the clutch release lever, and it made some horrible sounds. I clutch isn't something I can't do myself, so I've got Pug parts in Rotherham coming to pick the car up on Monday.

I'll keep the thread updated on the problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had a look in my Haynes manual for the sensor. My bell housing looks different, or could be that I am looking at it a different way. I'll have another look later on. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts