Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

im wanting to upgrade my front door speakers but not sure which size will fit without taking panel off to measure diameter of ones fitted, looked on ebay and some say 4 inch will fit others 6.5 inch and some 5.25 inch any advice will be most welcome

thank you

S

·
0 Posts
For an extra 2 quid you can pick up some JBL

Halfords | JBL GTO628 6.5'' Two Way Car Speakers

Had a full JBL system in my 306 (Fronts, Rears, Crossovers + tweeter/woofer, amp and sub, never put a foot wrong!)

Still got the fronts, woofers, amp and sub in my 307 and its still crisp as anything!

Must be talking 8 years of gettin battered by me now!

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
For an extra 2 quid you can pick up some JBL

Halfords | JBL GTO628 6.5'' Two Way Car Speakers

Had a full JBL system in my 306 (Fronts, Rears, Crossovers + tweeter/woofer, amp and sub, never put a foot wrong!)

Still got the fronts, woofers, amp and sub in my 307 and its still crisp as anything!

Must be talking 8 years of gettin battered by me now!
i have the same speakers in my missus ka but there 5x7s. they rock arse. the movable tweeter is a good idea too

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
think i might have to have a look at them speakers then need some decent ones to blast the rock music from

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have played with ice but only to the extent of crossovers not entirely assure what that is about but i find that a decent bass box and amp is great and attracts the bass to standard speakers very well so i didn't need to change them, i tried 6x9's and they broke i also tried tweeters and they blew so i settled for the box, it's only down side was the space it took.
:(

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
does anyone know if the front speakers have crossovers fitted as standard

if not is there space behind the dashboard for some.

i would really like to fit a semi decent set of speakers really

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
another thing i have noticed.

the rear speakers dont seem to have any treble. like they dont have tweeters? are they just bass speakers

if so is the wiring there to run a set of speakers with tweeters or do i need to run my own?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Totally agree with the jbl speakers mentioned. Had them put into the front of mine car, and despite fading all sound to them, they are remarkably loud and clear. They have brilliant treble, but not as bassy as I'd hoped for. Still, for the money, I'd go jbl every time! :thumb:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Front tweeter + door speaker upgrade

Hi everyone,

I upgraded the head unit in my facelift 307 SPORT last year (JVC M730BT) which helped improve the sound quality somewhat, however I'm going to replace the current stock front tweeters and speakers tomorrow with some Vibe SLIC components. I'm confident with the process of installing the door speakers but I'm somewhat confused by the tweeter and crossover fitment. Could anyone assist with the following:
  1. Are the stock tweeters run from a crossover or via a feed from the door speakers?
  2. If there is an existing crossover; where are they located and do I need to replace them with those included with the new Vibe speakers?
  3. If there is no existing crossover; where do the wires feeding the existing tweeters go to and where is best to intercept for the crossover install?
Many thanks :)

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
The tweeters in a mark 1 have the cross over built into the speaker
The speaker cable is just run off the main speaker so a cross over is needed

I brought the alpinestar speakers as there cross overs were built in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
The tweeters in a mark 1 have the cross over built into the speaker
The speaker cable is just run off the main speaker so a cross over is needed

I brought the alpinestar speakers as there cross overs were built in

Great, thanks for the prompt reply!

I’m assuming the facelift model will be similar, ie. tweeters run from a crossover feed from the door speakers. If so, I could use the existing tweeter wire and put the crossover within the door hollow or behind the dash. I’m not sure what access is like behind the dash near the doors, we shall see tomorrow!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Audio Source > DAC > Sound Deadening > Amplifier > Speakers.

In importance of what to upgrade first. It doesn't matter if you have a Focal Utopia setup, if you are playing low bitrate MP3's through the system, it is only going to amplify the artefacts in the music.

The DAC is essentially the headunit, the better the headunit, the better the quality.

Don't forget sound deadening in key places to remove reverberations which muddle the sound.

Then amplifier. The 4 x 15w RMS amplifier chip in your JVC headunit will not cut it. You'll get a much better sound from a small add-on amplifier like the Pioneer GM-D1004 (if on a tight budget otherwise I recommend an Alpine KTP-445U). When using these amps, try to use line outs, not speaker outs.

Then finally speakers. I wonder if most people even know what a crossover network does? Or why it's necessary. I've seen high end component sets which only use a single capacitor for the tweeter (granted, it's a high end polypropylene capacitor though).

The wiring for the tweeter will be branched off the main speaker, so ideally you will need to split the crossover network apart or run new wires from the crossover to the tweeter/main speaker (for my 407, I am making new crossovers). If you can't do that, then install the crossover for the tweeter only - but the tweeter HAS to be connected to a crossover network, whether it's a single capacitor or a complex network.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Audio Source > DAC > Sound Deadening > Amplifier > Speakers.

In importance of what to upgrade first. It doesn't matter if you have a Focal Utopia setup, if you are playing low bitrate MP3's through the system, it is only going to amplify the artefacts in the music.

The DAC is essentially the headunit, the better the headunit, the better the quality.

Don't forget sound deadening in key places to remove reverberations which muddle the sound.

Then amplifier. The 4 x 15w RMS amplifier chip in your JVC headunit will not cut it. You'll get a much better sound from a small add-on amplifier like the Pioneer GM-D1004 (if on a tight budget otherwise I recommend an Alpine KTP-445U). When using these amps, try to use line outs, not speaker outs.

Then finally speakers. I wonder if most people even know what a crossover network does? Or why it's necessary. I've seen high end component sets which only use a single capacitor for the tweeter (granted, it's a high end polypropylene capacitor though).

The wiring for the tweeter will be branched off the main speaker, so ideally you will need to split the crossover network apart or run new wires from the crossover to the tweeter/main speaker (for my 407, I am making new crossovers). If you can't do that, then install the crossover for the tweeter only - but the tweeter HAS to be connected to a crossover network, whether it's a single capacitor or a complex network.
Thanks for the very detailed reply!

I’m on a very limited budget, hence the low-end components. I will definitely invest in an AMP and sound deadening at a later stage :). I don’t expect amazing audio, especially with how the speakers are mounted on the door card.

Apple Music as my main source for audio, which sounds ok to my untrained ears (256Kbit AAC I believe?). I’m by no means an audiophile but the limits of the stock speakers are noticeable.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I found the best way to help a 307 is fit 6x9 in the parcels shelf the sound is poor but no matter what the speakers you put in the doors they rattle and you can feel any bass

1 - 20 of 24 Posts