Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Does anyone know where i can get a original new cover for my steering wheel the type you stitch on yourself as the one i have is all peeling off.

Many Thanks Jay

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hi all
Does anyone know where i can get a original new cover for my steering wheel the type you stitch on yourself as the one i have is all peeling off.

Many Thanks Jay
I would just buy another steering wheel. I first bought the stitch on leather but after 6 months it started looking grubby. Plus, the stitching was hard work.

I in the end picked up another genuine steering wheel from a breaker, £40 posted. Job done fitted within 30 minutes.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Its fitted quite easily. Just a few precautions.

- As this is close to the airbag, be aware it is dangerous to mess about with any of the airbag components before disconnecting the battery and prefably the airbag ECU (which is located under the centre console where the handbrake resides).

After disconnecting the battery as a minimum, leave the car for about 5 minutes for all the ECUs to save their values & switch off. Now activate the steering lock after ensuring the car is parked with the wheels dead straight.

Now with two small flat bladed screwdrivers, from each side push them into the small holes on either side of the steering wheel (move your head over the steering wheel and look behind it to see them clearly). When you push them into the slots you will release the airbag unit. It should pop out on either side but may need a little tug to persuade it should it not release cleanly.

With the airbag popping out, disconnect the 3 wires going into it. There is a way of doing it, you have to carefully flick a locking switch up to then release the connection. Remove the airbag unit safely.

Next watching the wires you need a large torx key to undo the centre bolt holding the wheel in place. It is often tight so a small tap with a rubber mallet on the end of the torx key is a suggestion or use a long arm type. Undo the screw fully.

Now the wheel is often stuck on well, rather than tug on it like a village idiot which can break the wires, carefully tap the wheel from behind using a small rubber mallet on every side of the wheel to loosen it. It also helps to wiggle the wheel while pulling it off carefully.

Gradually withdraw the wheel watching the wires (if you split them or rush being heavy handed, it can be an expensive bill for another column switch COMMS2000).

Put your new steering wheel into place threading the cables through the middle again carefully. Ensure no wiring is trapped and you line the marks up when refitting located near the bolt hole. Now carefully tap or wiggle the wheel onto the column.

Redo the bolt up with a torx key tight and then connect the wires back to the airbag, without trapping it when you push the unit back into place on the wheel.

Hope that helps, be confident yet careful. Its about a 30 min job.

Matt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts