Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 54 plate 307 which I've had for a couple of months now. Ive not really used the heaters / ac at all up till last week. Last week I was driving back from a local town when I realised that the fans werent blowing any air through at all, all the lights etc were fine on the display unit & stuf though. The next day I started it up to check & they were working fine. Yesterday I took the cat to the vets, all was fine. Started driving home & a couple of minutes in the same thing happened, no fans blowing at all, they just stop! It was boiling hot too so no fun & switching from ac to eco mode made no difference at all.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

thankyou

·
5,838 Posts
At a wild guess based on symptoms first choice would be fan speed regulator "hedgehog" often burn out due to pollen filters not being changed and the fan slugging its guts out to suck air in via the blocked filter.

If you have access to Planet do a actuator test to help confirm

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At a wild guess based on symptoms first choice would be fan speed regulator "hedgehog" often burn out due to pollen filters not being changed and the fan slugging its guts out to suck air in via the blocked filter.

If you have access to Planet do a actuator test to help confirm
I'll have to have a look. It's really intermittent. It sometimes dies & won't come back on till you've stopped & restarted a while later but will then only stay on for a short while. I've tried it on Eco instead of aircon , auto , manual all with the same outcome. Today I sat outside my house it stopped in me, I got out & looked through the bottom grill & the fan was still, got back in the car & messed on & it came back on- jumped out & looked & the fan was spinning. I'm stuck. Where would I check for blocked pollen filters / the broken hedgehog?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, is the pollen filter the one under the windscreen? If yes, I checked that a while back as I wanted to check if it was blocked causing water in the footwell & it seemed ok.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes its the same in manual or auto mode, i have done the resistor wiring change on my wifes 307 which is not an SE so has the normal A/C but the climate control system on the SE is different and doesn't have the same resistor wiring, or at least its not in that same place and i can't find it.

·
5,838 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
The wiring would all seem to be ok as whether the fan is running or not moving the wiring around and pushing on the plugs etc makes no difference, so I guess it must be this hedgehog thing.

I could see no sign of it from peering up from the passengers footwell onto the back of the plastic fan motor casing where the wires go in, any ideas exactly where it is ?

I could find no trace of a thread on here detailing it.

It looks like a major job to get to it if it is inside the fan housing !

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well its all ok now.

The original problem was a fan that would stay on for a few mins and then go off on its own and then after a few mins come back on again, gradually staying off for longer than it was on.

Ordered the resistor as detailed above from: CITROEN XSARA PICASSO PEUGEOT 206 307 HEATER BLOWER FAN RESISTOR 6441AP | eBay

for £24.99 delivered, some places are trying to sell the exact same thing for £125 !

Fitted it as detailed above, took no more that 1 hour from start to finish.

Thanks again for the info provided on this forum.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well it has worked for 3 weeks but now the fan is permanently at full speed, the only way to switch it off is to turn the ignition off.

The supplier has sent me another resistor unit to try but that is also the same.

When i measure across the 2 pins of the resistor unit that switch the negative supply to the motor i get a full short on both units, i don't think this is correct and both resistor units could be faulty, any ideas ?

·
5,838 Posts
The signal from the Climate unit to speed controller is a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) digital signal the only way you can prove if the signal is correct is to look at it with an oscilloscope as the signal is a square wave which modulates dependant on speed required (eg half speed is 50% on 50% off).

Do you have your old faulty controller to see if that runs flat out if refitted ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, no i couldn't find the old one , but will go and have another look for it :)

Would you expect to measure a full short across the 2 negative pins into the resistor unit with it all unplugged on the bench, in that condition the motor will run at full speed.

Or does it work the other way round and a signal from the climate control unit puts the resistor pack into a resistive state ?

·
5,838 Posts
It a solid state speed controllers as the input is a digital signal and output is via a mosfet most test meters will give random results. Do you get short if you swap test leads around as I would expect to only see a short in one direction if diode or transistor drive on the input

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good point, i will test it both ways when i get home, in the meantime the supplier has agreed to send me a 3rd one to try, if thats the same then i guess the control unit must be faulty.

If thats the case then i may just fit a heavy duty switch so that the fan is either on full or off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good point, does that unit control all the logic to control the fan then, i.e. is there another control box somewhere that the unit connects to ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts