Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all picked up a 2004 Peugeot 307 hdi 90 66,000mls on Saturday for the wife she only needs a small car for work and she struggles to park our C5 estate ............come to think of it any car we have there is always something not right with it :madwife::madwife:lol

I was driving it back it was feeling very underpowered and quite sluggish really not at all what I thought it would be like.

I was planning on having it serviced by my mechanic quoted £140 for full service, which is not a bad price.

Then Sunday I went out to clean the inside and move the car it was dead it would not start, The battery it’s knackered, we had to jump start it the day I looked at it, the sales guy said it was probably because it had been sat there. I knew it was a load of crap ..... lol but the car was cheap enough.

So I drove down to euro parts at Doncaster today and picked up a new Bosch s4 battery for it works great now, the old battery has no manufacturer just black shitty looking thing the cells were quite low, also not a heavy duty battery.

Last night I put an order in online and decided to buy the service parts and do it myself, dont know what possesed me I just felt like getting stuck in for a change and make sure it was done right.

I started by changing the rocker cover gasket because it has leaked oil all over the air filter pipe at the back of the engine, while I was in there I noticed the turbo has only just been replaced you can see its brand new .........one less job

Couple of other things the rocker cover was not even bolted down that well!! I could turn a few of the torx bolts out by hand so that was the cause of the leak, so I replaced the gasket, also the air filter has 2 jubilee clips that were not fastened on tight and the flanges where they meet together were open slightly, obviously they were not put back on right when the turbo was done.

Changed the fuel filter my god it was bad and quite a few bits of crap in the housing, I cleaned it out and replaced the fuel filter and seal.

Air filter changed that, that was also jet black
BG engine flush
BG oil conditioner
BG fuel treatment

Oil and filter change, the oil filter was really full of crud I drained that into a small tub, the oil was almost like it had nearly set.
The oil out of the sump was shocking, but that’s why I wanted to run the engine flush through as the service history is unknown its worked I can tell you.

Checked all levels, antifreeze, tyre pressures

Took it for a drive after I can tell a massive change with its response when you press the accelerator it shifts instead of hesitating like before.
Some people aren’t big fans of engine flushes or the BG products, you have to try them and make your own mind up about them really.

I would not use an engine flush on anything of mine normally.

I'm going to drop the oil and change the filter in another 3000mls then resume normal servicing after that, should have given the new oil time to break down any remaining crud if any and any flush that may remain in the system.
Just need to take it in for cam belt and pulleys now and it should be alright for a while fingers crossed :thumb:

Condition of the car is immaculate, just that someone has let the servicing go :mad:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Great to hear you got a bargain. It still amazes me that garages will change a turbo without bothering to change the oil and filter. Crappy oil is a turbo killer.

S

·
0 Posts
Agreed its good to hear a success story for once

Just goes to show that preventative maint can stop these problems occurring before they do!

Good work sir :thumb:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
307's arnt that bad are they lol :eek:

bought some glow plugs for it today :lol: another job, lad at work is laughing at me saying it will be rebuilt soon :thumb:

replaced the wing mirror today as well it was not working and had been cracked

Discs and pads next, the discs on the front are really bad, have a lip of about 5mm on them :nono: like I say why people dont look after cars I will never know.

Cars not in daily use at the min so have time to tinker with it, going to replace the brake fluid and coolant while im messing around with it.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
i brought my 307 with high mileage im at work at 2.30am so its a bit nippy.

spent a few days going over everything making sure things like brakes, coolant brake fluid undertray. throttle position sensor, abs fault were all sorted.

its not been a bad car so far so we shall see

1 - 7 of 7 Posts