Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone - new member at his wits end over 307cc 2.0 16v petrol. I have read many of the same problems on this site but no definitive answer yet. Car starts 1st time and runs fine - about 10 secs after the air pump turns off the engine runs rough and shakes quite violently - as is something is telling the ECU it is warm enough so it goes into closed loop too early the 5 mins later is running fine. Have got PP2000 and get error codes P0302, P1338 both of which have now cleared but still have P0341 and P0410 showing in diagnostic. I have tried new injectors, coil pack, sparks, engine coolant sensor, lambda sensor and am going to change to 5W30 oil tomorrow but I'm running out of ideas - Have owned lots of Pugs but first one with problems. Would appreciate any advice or pointing in the right direction. Have taken into dealership for declogging which hasn't worked and now a Mastertech is saying the tappets need changing!! Sorry for lengthy post but tried to give as much info as poss.
Many Thanks for reading this.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Might sound daft - but have you checked the earths?

Similar thing happened on my other car - i ran some new wires to a couple of earth points in the engine bay back to the negative terminal - and the difference is fantastic.

If you have some spare wire lying around the garage, give it a whirl - only takes 2 mins.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for replies:-

Felix - any particular earth connections you would start with? I hadn't considered this as car runs fine when warm but am willing to try anything to get sorted.

SBrown - supposed to be an update from Peugeot to recommend the tappets from the 1.8 engine to be used in this instance as slightly smaller and using 5w30 oil might free them up from a cold start.

Gibbo - have read many posts about the same issue - problem is it seems a lot of different things can cause the rough idle - I am trying to narrow it down to keep the costs low - trying the oil change suggestion tomorrow with one eye on the secondary air pump if there is no change.

Many thanks for the welcome.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Never worked on one of these, more diesel for me, but., why isn't the oxygen sensor(s) trying to level out the roughness? I assume the vibration is a lean condition coupled with fluctuating rpms?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
14.5:1 - HI, When I have Diagbox on live test I get readings for the upstream o2 sensor - between 215 - 702 mvolts and the downstream sensor 761 - 800 mvolts. Not really sure whether this is between the parameters as can't seem to find the correct settings.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
14.5:1 - Apologies - didn't fully answer your reply. I think it is a too rich mixture and although the car shakes quite violently the RPM display remains constant

·
Registered
165 Posts
The rpm stays constant, but the engine shakes like crazy, weird.

If you think it is an excessively rich condition, cause a vacuum leak and see if it starts better.

If it doesn't add propane to air intake see if it stops shaking.

When the engine is shaking what is the o2 voltage doing?should be falling or going up in a in a linear direction.

Heated o2 maybe isn't getting voltage to heat. 3 or 4 wire o2?
What do your long term fuel trims say?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Felix - any particular earth connections you would start with? I hadn't considered this as car runs fine when warm but am willing to try anything to get sorted.
Any really.

The whole engine is negatively earthed, so you could run a few wires to various points on the engine block that don't already have a specific earth connection.

There is usually a body work earth point too near to the coolant reservoir. Run a lead from there back to the battery.

I'm not saying it will definitely be that - but for the time and cost, its worth a try.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
14.5:1
Starting isn't a problem - only seems to occur after the secondary air pump shuts off (Around 30 secs after start). O2 sensor starts at 683 mvolts and increases in increments of around 20 up to 819 and then drops in roughly the same amounts. LTFtrim is between -3.1 to -3.9. Did a compression test from cold and each cylinder registers 175psi - Engine light on again today and getting P0302 and P1338 - have changed injectors and plugs so at a loss as to why still getting misfire on cylinder 2 - looking towards the inlet manifold tomorrow to see if there is evidence of a leak. Also get P0341 and P0410 not sure if these are related to the misfire or separate faults.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Like i said in the beginning, not super familial with this engine. Oil is an interesting one, i guess valves are hydraulic on this one like on most Peugeot

Is there some kind of variable valve timing, cam shaft related type stuff?

Running rich, miss firing in one cylinder, weird...

1 3 4 2 according to this forum. Last cylinder to fire miss fire.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First of all - many thanks for all the replies and info. Even if they didn't solve the problem it has been a great learning curve. Update: A mechanic friend of mine had a good check over and came to the conclusion it was a "base engine fault" We had a look down the troublesome cyl 2 and discovered a build-up of carbon on the exhaust valves that appears to be preventing them from seating correctly - next move "Terraclean" to try and remove the build-up. I'll update the results later this week- Once again, many thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
A bit of research on the internet produces this link to a Pistonheads thread of a problem with a Lotus Elan cam followers - which are also hydraulic (K series engine)
In precis, the owner had a top end rattle which he was trying to cure. Eventually the followers were pumping up to the extent that they were holding the valves slightly open resulting in no compression.
Fault found was that a build up of crap between the inner & outer parts of the follower itself was preventing oil bleeding from the tappet.
Cure was removal of crap with fine wet&dry.
Problem with hydraulic cam followers - Page 1 - Engines & Drivetrain - PistonHeads

I wonder - and I stand to be corrected - if the 307 2.0 petrols may have the same issue?
Cold oil is thicker than hot oil & this difference in viscosity could be enough to manifest in the same way.
I've not taken a 307 follower apart so could be completely wrong.
Perhaps someone who has could comment as to whether this is a possibility?
Is it a possibility that a build up of crap could be causing the follower to stick in its bore in the head?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts