Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. My compression tester came today and it looks like I can only do it through the glow plugs. Just after some advice before I get to it. I've seen them while I had the manifold off but was wondering if I can get them out without removing the egr assembly out of the way.

I've been told a wire is held on the end of each on with a bit and then I can remove them. Is there a certain tool or just a socket?

·
2,997 Posts
I hav'nt taken them off your engine but loads others...there wil be a small nut holding on the power /link wire 4/5/6mm and use a deep socket to remove the heater plugs...they will be tight...get on them straight but if one shears..you will be in a world of pain...probably better to take out off a warm engine and copious amount of wd40...best of luck

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
You can get them off but its not much fun due to their location nuts holding wires on are tiny 8mm or 7mm hex and easily lost :)

I have never really removed them on these engines never had the need but have removed them on 1.9 dci engines never really had any problems just take it slow if they are tight turn them in and out to free off the threads

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. As it's quite easy to do I always remove the 2 piece scuttle under the windscreen for better access. I've also decided to remove the egr assembly. Should make things a lot easier.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Managed to get the plugs out without too much trouble but I can't get the compression adapter to screw in. I would have thought it's the one on the left in the pic but here are the 2 that look viable. Thought I'd get some advice before I force or thread anything.

Ps: I have a 17 piece universal kit so it's nothing special but I'm surprised the thread doesn't fit. I was looking at a nice sealey kit before and it said mine is number 22. But that's about it. I hope I haven't stripped it all down to not have the right part

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's what I thought. I'm not sure if it's because it's a cheap set but it only tightens in about half a turn. I tried it on the first port and got about a turn on the socket then it went loose and won't tighten into that one at all now. The thread is fine as I re tested it with the glowplug but the tool it's self must be a fraction wide or something.

I'm tempted to try the others with a half turn holding it in but I don't want it popping out and smashing my windscreen or giving false readings.

Maybe I need to get one of these?

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Managed to get the plugs out without too much trouble but I can't get the compression adapter to screw in. I would have thought it's the one on the left in the pic but here are the 2 that look viable. Thought I'd get some advice before I force or thread anything.

Ps: I have a 17 piece universal kit so it's nothing special but I'm surprised the thread doesn't fit. I was looking at a nice sealey kit before and it said mine is number 22. But that's about it. I hope I haven't stripped it all down to not have the right part

The tool at the bottom looks much longer in the un threaded part of the shank , the tool has bottomed out before the threaded section has purchase on the thread

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I managed to get the short one to fit and tighten up. I fitted the gauge but it isn't reading any compression on any cylinder. I was watching the gauge as o was turning it over and it was going up to maybe 20 psi and instantly dropping. Like a jumpy rev counter when you have a rough idle

I can't see how I have no compression at all on any cylinder but but still eventually starts and drives

·
2,997 Posts
Opps sorry...back to my reply the top one should be the one...and make sure the connector is on as it should and keep cranking until the guage stops rising...there will be a pressure release somewhere on the guage to return to zero...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Is there a Schrider valve in the compression testers pipe end ?

Is the tool you screwed in definitely sealing

You keep cranking till the guage stops rising but with a diesel it will rattle it round on a few turns , a good engine will do 350 psi no problem

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think it might be the gauge. There is compression coming out of the adapter. Hose is clicked on both the adapter and gauge but it's not registering anything. Like the gauge is blocked or faulty.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will try and fit a piece of tube on the adapter and see what comes out the other end but when I put my hand over the port with the adapter in I could feel a nice focused tube of compression hit my hand. Seemed to be sealed well

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just got my replacement gauge and it still won't read compression on any cylinder. I don't understand. The adapter is screwed right in to the glow plug port and the gauge is attached properly and still nothing.

Is it possible for the compression to escape into the other cylinders? And it's coming out the other open plug holes?

·
2,997 Posts
If its been running after replacing there will be compression...the glow-plug seats are not connected to each other...unless there is a serious problem with your head...try it and see...is there compression from the adapter before connecting the guage?what readings are you getting?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts