Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Does anyone know, or have a guide to change the rear shock mounts on my 307? I have had the old shocks off, but can't seem to get a tool on to take the nut off. Is there some special tool for this?
Thanks

·
11,780 Posts
Haynes says:

Using a trolley jack positioned under the spring cup, raise the lower arm until the rear suspension coil spring is slight compressed.

Working under the wheel arch undo the two shock absorber upper mounting bolts.

Slacken and remove the lower mounting bolt and nut then move the shock absorber out of position.

Nothing about a special tool. Its only rated a "two spanner" job, so quite simple.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello
Thanks for the reply.
I know how to remove the shock from the car. What I need to know is how to change the top mount, on the shock.
Cheers

D

·
0 Posts
Its held on by one stud. Not rocket science. Strip it and you'll see.
Those mounts dom't give trouble. Its only an alumimium piece.

Sent from my GT-S5570 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you say strip it, what do you mean exactly? The access to the stud is fairly small. Turning the stud turns the shock shaft.

D

·
0 Posts
When you say strip it, what do you mean exactly? The access to the stud is fairly small. Turning the stud turns the shock shaft.
Sounds like you need to get someone to do it for you. This job is very easy and if you are having trouble it may not be in your ability to complete. It could be dangerous if not refitted correctly.

Sent from my GT-S5690

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like you need to get someone to do it for you. This job is very easy and if you are having trouble it may not be in your ability to complete. It could be dangerous if not refitted correctly.

Sent from my GT-S5690
Thanks for the advice.
Over the last 3 days I have changed the clutch, crankshaft oil seal (timing end and flywheel end), timingbelt, waterpump, bottom pulley, and the ABS sensors.
I have done this on my drive freezing my spuds off. I am not a stranger to working on vehicles.
Perhaps the mount In question is broken?

·
Registered
86 Posts
If I understood Mukulu correctly, he is actually referring to detaching the top mount from the rest of strut. In my 1.6Hdi 307 I simply used a ring spanner for the knut in the mount and a smaller spanner to hold the strut from turning when un-doing the knut. I did have to grind the ring spanner very slightly in order to make it fit in the hole though. Hope this helps:thumb:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm having the same issue with my 307sw. The shock is off the car but just cant seem to turn the nut without the shock turning!! Ive tried a pair of vice grips on the strut but even clamped up as tight as I can get them the strut just turns in grips. I myself like mukulu consider myself more than competent to carry out tasks like this but like most average people need a little help from time to time!! Hopefully someone will be along soon with the relevant answer :)
Oh and this is my first post on here so HI :D

D

·
0 Posts
Have you access to an airgun. That'll blast it off too.

Sent from my GT-S5690

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Is the rear mount anything like on the 407?

On that one you have to compress the spring first, then push the spring pan down a bit to get a spanner over the slotted part of the rod to hold it in place while undoing the mount.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Finally I managed to get the nut off of my shock using an airgun as davidireland suggested! Well when I say 'I' what I mean is my girlfriends neighbour did it :) So if anyone else has this problem its definetly worth asking around and seeing if someone has access to an airgun.
Thanks all

1 - 16 of 16 Posts