Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Hope someone can help me out with this problem. Both yesterday morning and this morning it was really cold and when i released the handbrake and set off it felt as if the rear brakes were dragging. All day the car has felt different and the mpg has been lower than normal. When i got home i checked each wheen and the rear passenger side was warm. I think the brakes are sticking, heard that it could possibly be due to the handbrake cable freezing and not releasing properly.
Looks like the brakes are fairly worn and will need changing soon, not sure if theyve been done before and its got 120K on the clock so perhaps due a change!

Can anyone help with the sticking brakes or suggest how i can stop this without having to replace them? :confused:

Thanks.

Andy

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
Would you believe it yesterday morning -5 bloody cold defrosted car went to go to work but brakes sticking "handbrake cable frozen",same problem as you ,
released cable from caliper and went to work with no handbrake , right pain in the arse that was ,

anyway cables where worn so two new cables replaced today for £25 ,

just make sure your caliper is realeasing but i would say with this frost its the cable.

ps if you park on the flat in your drive just leave it in gear if theres frost.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Thanks for that. Is there any easy way of seeing if the caliper is releasing correctly? I have left the car in gear with handbrake off tonight as its suppose to be cold again so will see how it is in the morning!

I also think that its the cable so will try n sort that out next week, noticed that the pads were looking fairly worn too, anyone any idea how much to replace a set of rear pads?:confused:

Andy

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
look in behind the wheel and you will see where the cable connects , get someone to pull on and release handbrake a few times (being careful the car dosen`t run over you) when you look in its very easy to notice if it releases or not ,
back brakepads are around £25 of the top of my head .

ps- the point where the brake cable meets the caliper is like the end of a brake on a bike on the handlebar end , its that simple.

·
Registered
35 Posts
look in behind the wheel and you will see where the cable connects , get someone to pull on and release handbrake a few times (being careful the car dosen`t run over you) when you look in its very easy to notice if it releases or not ,
back brakepads are around £25 of the top of my head .

ps- the point where the brake cable meets the caliper is like the end of a brake on a bike on the handlebar end , its that simple.
Just found that I have ha similar problem also. I have checked the cable and it moves freely when not connected and the arm the cable sits in on the caliper is also moving freely.

My conclusion is that the caliper piston is sticking inside its housing and that is what is causing the issue.

My question is how long is the piston and how effective would lubricating the piston then winding it in be (repeated numerous times until hopefully moving freely also). Asking for the length as I have been imformed it's a right pain in the Arse if it pops out. I'm hoping that this could fix the issue as I'm not currently in a position to fork out £85 on a new caliper.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have this problem too, but it's now August! Passenger side has been replaced, it looks clean, drivers side is rusted and sticking. I've unclipped the handbrake cable for now, question is, do I need to replace the whole caliper? Or can I just by the part that's sticking?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Definatly sticking.

had the same issue on mine except it was not the handbrake cable.

I had both calipers changed at seperate times,

And it still does it intermittantly.#

Noticeable with reduced acceleration, having to usemore pedal to maintain speed, sometimes hums and hot wheels.

I had my breaks done recently, having a caliper changed aswell as new discs on the back and pads all round.

guess what, the left side which had been repalced months ago and was fine started sticking, the right side which got replaced as that was the one was sticking is also doing it on and off.

And now the fronts doing it.

I hate garages....

anyway there are quite a few things that can cause this .

It could be the slidding pins, or something else in the braking system, a kinked flexi host etc

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.