Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 307 x-line 1.4 petrol, just passed the 80,000 mile mark. The problem Im having is that the car has had an oil leak now for over 3 years, I know, should have sorted it long ago. Never really bothered me that much as the engine has always ran fine, or as well as can be expected.

I took it for a service few weeks ago, and on the off chance mentioned the oil leak to my mechanic. The leak is coming from the front left of the engine, just above the fan belt. Every 6 months or so I've been replacing the fan belt due to the oil perishing it. He done the dye test for head gasket leaks, dye turned very slightly green. He has informed that in his opinion the gasket needs replaced, the head needs skimmed etc etc, which he quoted around £500 for.

My question is there a chance that its not the gasket? I mean its been leaking for over 3 years, would it not have blown by now? Also, surely if its only a small oil leak then there would be no need for the head to be skimmed?

Thanks in advance for your help :confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I have read plenty of reports of this, and the modified head gasket. Does this head gasket replace need to have head skimmed?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats great to know. Just one last thing, any idea of how much the modified gasket is? My local peugeot dealer just went bust and most local one is about 35 miles away

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thats great to know. Just one last thing, any idea of how much the modified gasket is? My local peugeot dealer just went bust and most local one is about 35 miles away
google the garage for phone number and speak to the parts department give them your reg and hey presto

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had this issue with mine after an oil change, the peugeot dealer said it was very common and nothing to worry about. I steamed the engine and it has never lost oil since. Weird :s

·
Registered
59 Posts
Our Peugeot dealer has recently gone under too :rolleyes: along with our VW dealer, Rover MG dealer, Ford dealer and the Renault dealer. Not good times :confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
307 Oil leak from headgasket

Hello, I have exactly the same problem - broke down again last night from belt wearing out due to oil leak. I have the modified head gasket fitted and it's still spilling oil. How are you getting on with yours?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Our Peugeot dealer has recently gone under too :rolleyes: along with our VW dealer, Rover MG dealer, Ford dealer and the Renault dealer. Not good times :confused:
Wow, not good. I've seen a few garages close close by me, but there have been others near by... I would have thought the workshops and parts would have kept most afloat even if they run down their showrooms....

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was searching for this exact problem, and have been worrying myself sick that the H/G has gone. I too thought that a H/G problem would manifest itself quite quickly. I have previous MOT's for the last few years stating 'oil leak' as an advisory. I'm not suffering any overheating or poor running either. Mine is a 2.0l. My temp gauge is rocksteady at 95 degrees and my oil is rock steady at 1 bar over the centre. I was worried about this being high, but either temp doesn't fluctuate, no matter what the provocation!
At the last MOT, an oil leak wasn't noted - although I've now seen it.
I'm not sure what to do. It obviously hasn't got any worse over time. I'm wondering if one of those additives may help and swell the seal?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts