Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1.4 HDI 02 plate

It has been driving around fine and starting fine too - then all of a sudden, nothing

You turn the key and all the lights come on the dash board, but nothing turns over and no sounds from the engine at all.

I suspect its an immobilizer issue and i will do PP2000 over the weekend, but has anyone else had this before and is there a quick fix?

Same thing happened last week - so thinking it was the battery, i took it off the car and re-charged it over night and the car started fine. Not sure if it is a battery thing or whether taking the battery off the car has just re-set something.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I left the car for a few hours (didn't touch the battery) and touched nothing - and it started first time - weird

·
5,863 Posts
Yes you should get a ecu not unlocked status. The transponder coils can fail and they are a cheap fix new from Peugeot cheaper than eBay !

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes you should get a ecu not unlocked status. The transponder coils can fail and they are a cheap fix new from Peugeot cheaper than eBay !
When you say 'not unlocked' you mean it should say 'locked' in PP? Just wonder as I am experiencing similar problem on wife's 307.

Does yours display STOP when non-starter? If you are local to Derby I could help with PP

Also, Crank sensor and Cam sensor should be in sink. PP can tell you that.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, put it on the pp2000 and no faults came back at all

Any help........

Starting ok at the moment, but i thought the previous 'non starts' would have shown up

·
5,863 Posts
Sounds more like an intermittent fault withthe ignition barrel switch. The engine would still turnover if the immobiliser chip wasn't recognised but it wouldn't start.
As above I would look at Ign switch or starter solenoid if engine does not turn over. I though it was turning over but not firing

·
Registered
14,567 Posts
Yep starter not turning engine is not a fault that planet would log as its not computer related its simply a mechanical/electrical issue.

Computers do not know everything.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You need a multimeter, a third hand and the wireing diagram for the ignition, take off the cowling and identify the wire that goes to the starter when you turn the ignition, use the point of the probe to pierce the insulation the other probe needs to be earthed (on the door is easiest). Then when you turn the ignition to the second position (to crank the engine) there should be volts going down the wire. If the fault is intermitent then you will obviously have to wait till it happens to see if it is the ignition. You should check the starter first though as this is easier to get to, you put one probe on conection and the other to the body to earth it then get the third hand/friend to turn the igniton. Had a similar issue with my Polo and assumed it was the starter motor but after changing it and not sorting the problem did the testing and realised it was the igniton that was the problem. As the ignition was such a pain to replace on the Polo I fitted a start button instead by splicing into the ignition wires, now when the key wont start the car I use the start button. Still need the key in it to start though. Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
starter

I would bet my money on starter motor. I had same on my wife's 1.4 hdi. You would think because there is no click that starter motor is no faulty but trust me it is. Turn the key and ....nothing! Starter motor solenoid died. Second hand starter and everything was ok.

Also, if you want to check ignition there is an easier way. There is a fuse in engine bay where you can check if your ignition is OK.Cannot remember now which one tho.

I've got non starter now but totally different issue :(

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the tips.

The car seems fine at the minute (touching wood frantically). Do you think this is just a blip, or could it be the starter solenoid or ignition starting to break down. Should i wait till it wont start again before i start to investigate.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You wont be able to test what is going on till it is happening anyway, my Polo ignition tends to not work when it is hot in the car so you might want to hope for a cold summer if yours is the same. ��

·
Registered
25 Posts
If it would be mine I would replace starter motor. It is likely to let you down when you mostly need it.

When I replace my starter I could connect direct 12V on motor it worked. However, 12V on solenoid then start - nothing!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
If it would be mine I would replace starter motor. It is likely to let you down when you mostly need it.

When I replace my starter I could connect direct 12V on motor it worked. However, 12V on solenoid then start - nothing!!!
Have you checked the Minus (-) connection to motor? I had the same problem with my cc.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts