0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...

I followed Stubbo's guide here:

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6456

which thanks to John (cck2k9) can be downloaded here:

www.peugeot-diy.orangeserve.com

And I can tell you this...

I went out and got some long nose pliers, and this made life so much easier.

but so you have an idea the LEDs come in:

Yellow
Red
Green
Blue
White
Pink

Stubbo said:
Now there are 2 clips on each side of the white housing that need prising open, they are quite fragile so be careful
Pay attention to this, I snapped off 3. hasnt made a difference for me. The whole unit sits tight and nice, but still, take care!!!

So the MFD looks like the following in different colours

One of the yellow LED's is dead. Sorry about that

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ready for comments!!

Cheers John for letting me keep the "flow of thread" :lol:

Right guys you can gauge what colours you want from the above pictures. I do apologise again for the yellow one, it doesn't look too bad in the flesh but two of the four I have are knackered so only had the other two working :(

Another peculiar thing is the climate control - I finally figured how to remove this. You take the two torx out from where the ashtray is. then you remove the bottom of the two part centre plastic trim, and then push the top of the climate control and it pops in. Just turn it and encourage it through the gap toward you.

So the peculiar bit... The bulbs are EXACTLY the same as in the MFD - twistys. I took the three out the back of the pack (aware of the orange filter in, just wanted to try the LEDs) and put in the LED's. And I tried LED after LE-flippin-D and they wouldn't light up. Bulbs back in and then it works again!!:mad: does anybody know why?

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
try bending the connector on the led a little bit, and sure you are trying them in both polarities (sucking eggs there lol) it will be the fact that they are not making contact:thumb:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've done all that, it all makes contact. And the ones I used are the ones that I had used in the MFD so they work, and they are making contact, they just aren't lighting!!!

I know I have to get rid of the orange filter and then have the button lights soldered or whatever, but still, the twistys should work!!!!!!

Look for yourself if you like :D

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
hmmmm....i wonder if there is enough current getting through to initiate the diode so to speak. are you handy with a soldering iron, try an smd led and see if that illuminates.

but i cant see why they are not illuminating :s i think this is time for captain john and his mysterious power :p

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha we can look at this over a big mac!

If you fancy lookin at it be my guest :)

I thought the same but the standard bulbs are no different to the standard ones in mfd, and don't LEDs require less power?

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
haha could do, im at home now but im back at work 2morro night and have a few things to do. but from monday i have 4 days off so can have a look around then if that ok.

yeah im thinking something is not right like...as you say leds use less power so they should illuminate.

are you putting leds in all the bulb holders? might be needed to complete the circuit...ive only seen the digital displays on the net, never in person so im not sure on the circuit and that, if that makes sense.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whatever I'm doing to the bulbs im doing the same to the leds. It makes no sense at all

Well im off Wednesday to friday, which of the 3 is best for you?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
i done mine the other night blue and i have to say i dont really like it, the yellow looks nice tho.

Done the climate control blue just the led that lights up the buttons witch i think looks nice as its kinda the same blue my alpine lights up:)

Attachments

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice mate! have you had a look at my climate control guide?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
yea got the idea from your post :D dont know if i should do the rest blue
as am fussy when it comes to lights around the car i like simple mods i
must take a few snaps of the inside of the car as ive put some leds in the
roof lights and been told its too bright lol.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do it at least a colour that suits blue, can't leave it orange lol

What colour are the new bulbs? I'm utterly narked off because I've been so careful yet a total of 4 leds are not working in my dash. They work with a multimetre but not in application. Gutted! I'll stick to the twistys as of now

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It won't be white white by the way. It'll be a lighter blue background with a white car and other digital symbols.

The leds from crazyleds are brighter and last longer than them bulbs. Cheaper too :thumb:

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
some pics of the way mine looks :D
looks good mate, i noticed on your MFD you have serious hotspots. if you use:

CrazyLed's :: CAR/BIKE 12v READY LED :: 509T Twistlock LED :: Blue 509T LED. (flat head LEDs)

and

CrazyLed's :: TRANSLUCENT FILTER PLASTIC :: Translucent filter plastic 140mm x 140mm (which will spread the light evenly across the screen)

you will eliminate those hotspots! :thumb:

i also noticed you have changed your festoon to led aswell...i did this on mine...mine has 4 white smd leds inside a glass tube and i tell you what, it looks far better and can see better.

like i say looking good.:thumb:

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
thanks john going to order them bits strait away as i was gonna ask how to remove the hot spots lol.
yeah thats cool, i ordered the bigger size of the plastic and had loads spare. if you have round head leds in your MFD now, you can use fine sandpaper to sand the heads down to make them flat. but buying new is easier and only a few pennies :lol:

am near sure mine as 9 leds in the light ive a set on the back too ;)
talk about shitting the bed :lol:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts