Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
307 Lower engine bush change, with mount still on car

The lower bush on my 307 felt quite soft and the car juddered when trying to pull away. I picked up a new bush quite cheap on ebay but HBOL said you have to remove the mount and therefore the RH driveshaft to press the new bush in.

I didn’t fancy doing that so instead I made myself up a little tool to allow me to screw in the new bush with the mount in place. This is the original bush

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The first step was to remove the old bush, I tried to cut out the centre of the old bush using a hacksaw blade, this was slow going so I switched to my new air saw I got from Lidl, this went through the rubber nicely and after twisting it around, it finally broke free. I then used a cold chisel to smash out the old metal ring

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put a bolt through the new bush and put this in the chuck of a drill held in my vice, I used this to spin the new bush so I could polish it's surface with sand paper. I used a flap wheel in a drill to clean up the inside of the mount on the car.

I then assembled the Mk1 version of my fitting tool, this consisted of the following

Threaded rod / nut / large washer / metal plate/ old bearing race / new bush / mount / metal plate / large washer / two nuts locked together.

I used gaffer tape to keep the old bearing race aligned with the bush

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
However when I started to tighten the rod it was obvious the metal plates weren't up the task and they started deform. I took it apart and used the flap wheel to put a small chamfer on both the mount and the bush to help it start square and I replaced the metal plate with a metal bar with two bolts through it to space it off the mount.

The too started to bend but I was able to screw the bush in until it started to touch the bent plate.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced this with an even thicker piece of metal. This too eventually deformed but it allowed me to wind in the bush completely.

I hope the above helps anyone thinking of changing this bush, despite having to mess around with making up various metal plates, this was still a lot less hassle than removing a drive shaft and the mount! Thankfully changing this bush fixed my fault and my car no longer judders when starting off.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts