Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This car is beginning to do my head in...

Noticed that there was crud on the bottom of the gearbox particularly around the gearbox oil sump bolt, thought dont tell me its leaking from the plug, but then traced it back to the driveshaft area so most likely leaking seal.

Passenger side only, seems to be dripping down the gearbox and onto the sump bluck which has collected grime from the road.

No idea how much gearbox oil ive lost but its not dripping on the ground.

So looks like its going back to the garage to get the driveshaft seals done and gear box oil changed

Along with them to fix the brakes which were done a month ago (random caliper sticking both front and rear , wnet in with just 1 tsicking caliper...)

Am i looking at just replacing the seals which i know are cheap and not too difficult to change, or is this indication of another problem? Or when the clutch was changed by the dealer who was selling the car (no idea when) they didnt change the seal out of laxyness.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hi,

These seals go quite easily if the mechanic is a bit heavy handed when removing/reinstating the drive shafts.

But it can happen through wear. They're not expensive and don't necessarily mean there's more to worry about. Just ensure the gearbox oil is replaced and not reused (some garages think they're saving you money by reusing the oil oil).... big no no.

Regards

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

These seals go quite easily if the mechanic is a bit heavy handed when removing/reinstating the drive shafts.

But it can happen through wear. They're not expensive and don't necessarily mean there's more to worry about. Just ensure the gearbox oil is replaced and not reused (some garages think they're saving you money by reusing the oil oil).... big no no.

Regards
Its probably general wear then, i have after all done 6000 miles in just under 3000 miles and im not even sure when the clutch was done, could have been quite a while ago.

the dealer had the car for 1.5 years and from the service book they have serviced the car before that so the previous owner was using that dealer (non peugoet) for work to the car.

yeah the seals are not expensive, but i am going to tell them to use ditch the old oil and ut new oil in it. Its actually something i was about to do myself now that ive noticed my gearbox has a breather bolt at the top meaning its easy to fill without removing the battery or even airbox.

changing the seal doesnt look to complicated, but im not confident at having to remove the driveshaft and bits to get access to remove it, never mind having the tools to do it, so its more worthwhile to to get the garage to do it as its only an hours work for them.

Im hoping that fresh gear box oil will make the gearbox a bit smoother. all gears select fine, though first sometimes needs shifting to 2nd when you are stopped before it will go into first, and going from 1st to 2nd sometimes required holding clutch longer as it seems the gears are taking time to spin down (few bad crunch moments)

if not i guess i can live with the more likely worn synchromesh. Just dont be the release bearing :/

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yeah you'd need to disconnect the bottom ball joint to remove the drive shaft which is a pig of a job.

Changing from first to second shouldn't be affected by the speed of the parts within the gearbox, it's more likely to be an issue with the hydraulic pressure to your slave cylinder.

If the slave is on its way out, it won't fully extend and disengage the clutch.

Ask the garage to check your clutch slave whilst they're working on the car as these usually aren't too expensive (unlike concentric slave cylinders!) if you need it replacing.

Regards

1 - 4 of 4 Posts