Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 307 1.6 hdi which jumps out of gear when in 1st, 3rd or 5th (all the push forward gears) if you have your foot off the gas then bring it off and then back on the gas it will jump out.

The gears feel very spongy, I would assume there's a worn gear linkage issue, if so is it an easy job to do? Access is always my main concern.

D

·
0 Posts
Gearboxes that jump out of gear have usually internal problems. I'll doubt its a linkage problem.

Sent from my GT-S5690

·
Registered
116 Posts
Both of my 307's have this problem (only in 3rd at low revs), my mam's 307 is the same in 4th and nans the same in 4th. My old 306 HDi was the same in 2nd and 3rd and I know of countless other HDi boxes with this problem (must be at least 40).

So either me and my local community of Pug HDi owners are very unlucky, or this is a common problem :p

·
Registered
873 Posts
Mine had this fault, then I started getting a rattling noise. Broke down on motorway, took it to mechanic and he said gearbox was cooked, not a drop of oil in it...lol

Had to get a new one...

·
Registered
14,650 Posts
This sounds internal but i have to agree with david its not a common problem and is usually down to lack of maintenance ie oil level never checked in box they run dry overheat the syncros box then dies

All our old taxis lost 3rd or 4th gear eventually but all had done over 300k miles before they did

Smaller 206 boxes dont seem to last anything even remotely close to this mileage though

I have 6 206 gti boxes here all perfect they never seem to break !!

Diesel boxes do get a harder time than petrol boxes and oil level should be checked/changed to ensure long life

·
Registered
169 Posts
The fact that it's all the 'forward' gears suggests that the problem may not be internal in the gearbox. It could even be something as simple as a pipe obstructing the external gearchange lever, or a partially seized (or frayed) gearchange cable. Check all the mountings and stabiliser bushes as well.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To me it's the physical movement of the engine causing it, it's when you come off the gas then go back on it, I wouldn't have thought it was internal, sound like something you're saying goa127.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts