Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I think I have a leaky injector, the sound is hard to describe but it's like a tapping noise fairly loud when driving, not at idle, I had 1 injector replaced and they didn't use new copper seals etc, could it be that the old copper seal is leaking? I've ordered new ones but any advice would be Great, maybe one of you have had a similar sounding issue and I'm in the wrong direction? If it is the copper seals is there an easy way of changing them or is it a big job? Cheers

·
Registered
14,295 Posts
Injector seal leaking sounds like a steam engine pulling away chuff chuff noise and you will see black carbon round offending injector if bad enough leak if only a small leak you should see a little smoke.

You dont need to use new copper seals i rarely do.

If its more of a rattle than a chuff it might not be an injector it certainly wont be the seal

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply

I don't think it's a chuffing type sound, more tappitty if that makes sense, the car runs spot on no problems starting in the cold or anything so I can't see it having a dodgy injector again?, one thing I have noticed just recently although this tapping has been there a long time now is that if I'm in say 4th and I have to slow down and I forgot to drop down to say 2nd and I put my foot down I get a cloud of black smoke behind me, is that normal and just my driving? More fuel for the higher gear etc and not being able to burn it off or What? I don't know much about it tbh just don't want to strip it down to fix a tapping if I don't have to

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bajamaniac12:
what about the engine oil:
Type, old/new, smelling or not and capacity
Hi mate, I think it's got semi synthetic oil , 10/40, new oil and filter as I did oil change about 200 mile ago, noise was there a few thousand miles before I did oil change

·
Registered
14,295 Posts
Ok in the 1.4 and 1.6 the EGR is buried down the back you dont want to go there unless you really need to :)

Its hard to say without hearing the noise in person to be honest.

·
Registered
14,295 Posts
Yes i understand that i have worked on engines for 30 years and know how important oil quality can be for SOME engines but point im making is this noise is a longstanding issue and we cant hear it it was there BEFORE the oil change so is unlikely to be oil related.

Could be the top chain rattling if 16 valve engine could be worn rockers could be many things

1 - 12 of 12 Posts