Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
6 weeks ago I started to have problems starting my 307. I left in into the local Peugeot garage to be looked at. They told me that my ignition switch has gone and it needs replaced.

They gave me 2 options, a universal key (quickest and cheapest option) or a brand new ignition switch that will require recoding of keys!!

6 weeks later they still havent got the part.....they say they are having serious problems getting their hands on the part!

I had a quick look on the internet and I found the part I am looking for at a fraction of the price the garage quoted me!!

Do I have to get this ignition switch fitted at a Peugeot garage??

G

·
Hi

Depending on the fault, you may be able to get this done as the ignition switch was subject of a warranty recall.

You can phone Peugeot (use Google to find number) and quote them your VIN and they will tell you if the car falls within that range.

As for new replacement, yes, you will most likley need new keys and get them coded as the immobiliser will prevent the engine starting and also the remote locking.

I am not sure what they mean "universal key" as in many parts of the country, that means a screwdriver!:eek:

If you get a used ignition switch and set of keys you could swap over the old fobs with the blades of your new keys.

That way, you will not need to go to the dealer, as the immobiliser and remote chips are in the black plastic keyfob.

Looks like you found a way out....

David

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BestGear

I already inquired about the recall problem, garage told me that it was only related to older models....Mine is a 2004 model!!

The universal key was to my knowledge, a new Ignition Switch that is not an offical Peugeot part...I would still open the car with my normal Peugeot key and start the car with another!!

I got a brand new Ignition Switch from a garage in London....So I'm hoping that my key can be coded or whatever way it works!!

G

·
Hi

Ok... so if you have a new igntion barell... I assume its the lock barell not the switch behind it?

Coding is required for two things:

Immobiliser - a small chip in the keyfob that does not have a battery - its in a small glass tube hidden away.

Remote locking - uses the CR3032 (from memory) battery.

Some cars can be programmed (apparently) by a sequence of igniotion switch and button presses - never found one that does however!

Immobiliser - needs to be coded using Planet and the 4 digit security code suipplied with the car. When you code an immobiliser, it wipes all other keys, so you must have all keys with you when you code. You cannot code the immobiliser without the code, so if you dont have it, you need to get a Peugeot dealer to get it for you, for a fee.

Now... if its JUST the lock that is gubbed, you can move over the new key BLADE to the old FOB - that way NO coding is required, as you have retained these elements within the fob.

Hope that makes sence!

David

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi David

I tried to send you a link to what part I got, but it wont let me post links just yet :mad:

If you look at ebay and type in 307 Ignition Switch you will see it.

Thanks

Alan

·
Registered
239 Posts
it does mean sense of course because the ECU has CAM ( keep alive memory ) so regardless if the battery was disconnected it remembers old codes and if one happens it will throw the cell butttttt if them car runs ok the fault is bogus and removing the fuse will remove the fault code but if it comes back you have a problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts