Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

This sound has annoyed me for a while. It was worse but i found that (alternator stator or bearing) was fried. Its still going on but less noisy. I figured its one of the bearings.

Either the wheel bearing LHS
Drive shaft support bearing
or something in the gearbox (my worse fear). I have flushed it completely around 12L, could do it one more time to see if any residual comes out

I dont think its the CV , when i full turn at a steady pace, there is no clunky noise. There is a loud noise when i accel fast whilst turning, happens when the wheels spin from stationary usually

I took a video,

Any ideas?

Much appreciated

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Jack the car up at each front wheel in turn and try rocking the wheel with hands at top and bottom. No play allowed! Also rotate the wheel whilst up and listen for graunchy bearing noise.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey madbadandold,

I did jack up the car heres what i found;

Front LH; rocking wheel with hands left and right (slight movement) and top and bottom, no movement.

Front RH; no movement at all.

No obvious grinding nosie. I read that maybe i should remove the caliper and breaks and then try to move the hub.

Thanks for the response

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Recheck LH and this time when you feel the slight movement look at the track rod end as you rock it. Brake is the cars and break is when you say drop a cup by the way!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the delayed response. I did try and rock it again, seems to be slight play very minimal from the rod end. I have ordered a bearing although still haven't pulled the hub of to see if its making a grindy noise.

When i turn the wheels the whole axle moves too, how would the bearing noise show when the axle moves? to be honest this confuses me. Does the hub and bearing spin independently of the axle and gearbox?

should be pulling hub off car this week to check if its making a grindy noise

Cheers

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the reply. got both hubs off and decided to pull out the driveshaft too. turns out the main culprit was drive shaft support bearing with the right wheel hub making very minimal noise more than the left wheel bearing. in process of swapping the bearings now

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So swapped the RHS wheel bearing and drive shaft bearing. The high pitched grind is gone but there is still a grindy noise. The original suspect LHS bearing will now be changed. Sucks ive put the car back together only to take it apart again haha. Will keep you updated

Cheers

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So finished the LHS went for a test drive. There's still the noise. All three bearings (shaft support, left and right wheel bearings were swapped) there is a higher pitched whine that I think isn't there anymore but the sound still goes up and down with speed. Very confused now. Any ideas?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
You had play in the lh track rod end. Did you replace it as you mention bearing replaced as opposed to track rod end? Have you checked the oil level in the gearbox? Might be worth draining and refilling with new correct grade oil to see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the response. I thought fluid would come out of gbox when removing drive shaft so I drained it again anyway. I didn't change the track rod end. I have had a look at the engine mounts. Drive side top has some cracks/splits. Possibly the driver rear mount might too.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is the link showing driver side top mount; I know it's got two cracks in it but I'm not sure if that would give me the loud noise I'm hearing

And here is an image of the driver shaft support bearing and retainer. Would this mean I've pressed it onto the shaft too much and caused it to fail? Or is that normal ?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Can't help you on the drive shaft support issue unfortunately. I would have replaced as found. The track rod showed signs of play so it would be prudent to replace before the tyres start getting damaged due the tracking out of kilter. I doubt the engine mounts would cause the noise you are getting. If they go you get clunking on accel and decel as the engine moves out of synch with the mount.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The original shaft support bearing was definitely cactus so I replaced it. Just hope I haven't damaged it going back on. Im assuming it's designed to only go on to a certain point.

Yeah will be replacing the track rod, was hoping to sort out this stupid noise haha.

I will also have to replace that top mount as it's definitely on its way out

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Does grabbing hold of the engine and rocking it forward and back produce any noises that would confirm mounting issues.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
The shaft bearing is fine it should be slightly further down shaft but it wont make any difference

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have taken the right one off for now and am replacing it anyway as it shouldn't have any cracks in it. My recollection of it was not really.

As in I pushed it on just a bit too much? Glad to know though :) thanks

I'll be getting the new mount tomorrow and comparing the two then going for a test drive and will let you know.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Definitely difference between the two mounts (new and old) was hoping that would be the solution but no unfortunately it is still making the same noise.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts