Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
307 Hdi Oil Leak Problem - can anyone identify this part?

Guys, I really hope someone can assist here - my (non FAP) 90bhp Peugeot 307 1.6 diesel is peeing oil out all over my motor.

On examination, the oil is coming from a plastic jobby on one of my intercooler hoses. It has chucked out maybe a pint or so down the block and all over the head at a guess, but oil always looks worse when spread out of course.

See the photo's of the part in question and where it fits. It sits to the left of the plastic cam cover.

This is it

from a bit further out:

and where it is mounted on the car itself:

If anyone can ID the piece in question, it would be a big help, if you have any idea why it would be peeing oil out onto the cyl head from there - even more so.

I have this dread feeling it could be turbo - but the car runs and idles well, and is not putting out smoke, so I live in hope.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anyone have a micro fiche diagram of that part at all, that may describe what it is please?

It fits on the the big intercooler hose, the top side of the the throttle dozer if that helps clarify things. The side nearest the throttle dozer is triangular and secured with 3 bolts :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
The silver pipe which enters it at the top of the image - is that the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation valve).

It usually gets quite oily - so I suspect that the plastic part (arrowed) will unbolt from the car and it will have some sort of gasket on it. It could be a case that the gasket has split and just needs changing.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Felix. :thumb:

I will get it booked in the garage tomorrow. I have been out all day today so not had chance to get at it myself.

It'll help if I can at least give the guys an idea of what's up on the phone :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thanks Felix. :thumb:

I will get it booked in the garage tomorrow. I have been out all day today so not had chance to get at it myself.

It'll help if I can at least give the guys an idea of what's up on the phone :)
I don't think it will be too much of a job to do yourself - just a few sockets & spanners and couple of hours

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it looks like I have solved my own problem again...or at least I can see part of the cause of the problem.

It may help someone else in the future.

Although the oil appeared to be dripping from the intercooler pipes, once cleaned off it is actually the cam cover that has a hole in it at the top, where the timing chain seems to have punched through.

That was throwing the oil onto the intercooler hose. The fact it was everywhere was masking the real culprit.

The car has to be stripped for a full diagnosis but suspicion seems to fall on the timing chain tensioner allowing the camchain to flail about. It is not gonna be a cheap repair. The garage has never seen one do this before.

I will update as they get into the job.

As a minimum I am gonna need a timing chain, a tensioner and a new cam cover....plus whatever other carnage they find inside.

Ironically, I had the timing belt changed last year to avoid problems. I had no idea there was a timing chain between the feckin cams as well ....

More to follow.

D

·
0 Posts
I've seen this. The chain tensioner fails from poor servicing. The feed is probably clogged. You won't need a cyl head cover. Just get it aluminium welded. It comes with the head as they are machined together. That job will be big money if you want a new cyl head cover fitted.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah right. Thanks David.

I am kinda caught between a rock and a hard place, the car is too new too scrap, can't be sold as is, cant really be left to leak oil everywhere. If I buy another car I am gonna spend 5 or 6K at least .....

I am just gonna have to bit the bullet and pay for it fixing. However expensive that turns out to be .....

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
.... well I got the car fixed...turned out to be a 975 quid bill though ....:eek:

I have an itemised receipt and I know the guys at the garage well so I do not feel ripped off, they managed to get the cover repaired, or it would have been another 700 quid for a new head/cover as they are matched to each other. There was a shit load of labour to sort it all.

Part of the cost was to fit another new cambelt kit, as the one that'd only been on for about 500 miles was badly contaminated with the oil that'd been spraying everywhere. No point chancing things again, so we went for a replacement. That, the repair to the cover, new injector seals and bolts, the camchain and tensioner, a new water pump, oil and filter and the (forget how many hours) labour was where the bill built up from. there were a few other bits as well.

Keeping the immigrants in their comfortable lifestyles with 20% VAT was a fair chunk too of course.

ah well, it's only money :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts