Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Hoping someone can help, seem to be having a few little niggles with my new car (2004 307 HDi 2L 110bhp) sort one thing then another....

Anyway noticed i've lost both dipped headlights, all bulbs fine checked both fuses too. Sidelights, main beam, fogs and indicators all okay.

I can hear the relay when sides switched on and get the dash indicator for dipped headlights but no click.

Not sure where to start next, can't find anything that mentions the relays and where they're located. Assume they're behind the glove box but not sure what is what!!

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers

Dale

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
We bought a 53 807 some years ago, our problem was the dipped headlights came on when the engine started and could not be switched off! I gave up and sent it to the Peugeot garage who fitted a new Comms 2000 box underneath the steering wheel at a cost approaching £500.00. Comms box was most of that. My guess is that the fault was in the PCB of the Comms thinking it was responding to the automatic light sensor which our car does not have.
You could try a reset of the BSI should be more info on how to do this on this site. Do't think the Comms can be repaired but maybe BBA Reman offer something. Relays for the headlights are built into the BSI.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had seen a few threads about the comms2000 unit but hoping its not that.

Might try a BSI reset then if not then garage it is....

Take it BSI is straight forward? I'll have a search on here for details.

Cheers, Dale

·
5,027 Posts
i wouldnt worry too much if it turns out to be a comms2000 fault,theres loads of them about all cheap enough these days
comms 2000 | eBay

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the link, in the event that I need to go down this route are the units generic, I'll need one with CC also whether that's standard I don't know.

Willing to try and solve most things but looking at this might be beyond my capabilities or is it straight forward.

Is it worth cleaning the stalk if possible, looks like its got quite a bit of grime built up around the light switch.

However hoping the reset works!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers for that, assume I could so the same for the audio control unit too?

Question re the BSI reset, sorry if I sound stupid.....

"Switch on the ignition and check system's functionality.

Hold lock button on key down for 10 seconds."

Do I hold the lock button down while the ignition is still switched on?

Also at the end do I start the car through the drivers window or am I okay to get in car after opening/closing door and testing central locking?

Cheers, Dale

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Not sure I left the ignition on when pressing the lock button. I think the fault is most likely to be a defective relay in the BSI, I would send it away for repair. Comms are not coded to car but you have to get the right one as they are programmed depending on equipment etc. I am guessing you would need one from a car with the same spec.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Forgive me for being dim but does that mean switch ignition on is start engine or just to light up instrument panel?? Afer that step do I stop the engine hold the lock button down with the key still in the ignition but in the off position or do I remove key then hold lock?? Hoping to do in the morning with a little less wind and rain!!

Will update in the morning and then look at whether I need it repaired......

Cheers all!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Pretty sure you don't start the engine for this - just turn the key so your battery, handbrake etc lights come on - then leave it in that position while pressing the lock button for 10 secs etc

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wasn't expecting more hoping but the BSI reset hasn;t solved headlight issue.

However few quirks have been sorted and also CD changer isn't behaving oddly anymore and get a warning when drivers door is open which I didn't previously!!

Assume its a stealers job now to get BSI looked at, is it worth getting hold of diag tool first -will a standard reader give me any indication of issue? Nothing else I can really try is there??

Cheers, Dale

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
No good getting the dealer to look at the BSI they will simply fit a new one and code it to the car. I don't think further diagnostics will reveal anything, chances are the built in relay needs replacing, someone on the Renault website did a similar repair using a coil from a s/h body control unit but I would just send it off to the likes of BBA Reman for a warranted repair.
I can't see the switch on the Comms can be defective as all the operations of the switch pass down the same one or two wires (via CAN-BUS) to the BSI.

D

·
0 Posts
No good getting the dealer to look at the BSI they will simply fit a new one and code it to the car. I don't think further diagnostics will reveal anything, chances are the built in relay needs replacing, someone on the Renault website did a similar repair using a coil from a s/h body control unit but I would just send it off to the likes of BBA Reman for a warranted repair.
I can't see the switch on the Comms can be defective as all the operations of the switch pass down the same one or two wires (via CAN-BUS) to the BSI.
Working in a dealer myself just to say I'll try and do everything not to go replacing expensive parts at a whim. Rest assured we don't throw parts at a problem and see if it fixes it. That carry on is reserved for most other garages outside the dealer network.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Forgive me it is 6 years since our headlight trouble, I am talking rubbish about the headlamp relays being in the BSI. Just dug out the old wiring diagram I downloaded from the Peugeot Infotec site and the headlamp relays are on the engine fueseboard. R5 is the dip headlamp relay feeding fuses F9 and F10, R6 is the main headlamp relay feeding fuses F11 and F12. 13 relays in total but maybe R5 and R6 are the conventional type because of the current required.
Bearing in mind what the Dave Ireland has just said the dealer would have known where to concentrate his diagnosis.
Try swapping R5 and R6 if this is possible.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks wynb for the info, just before it got dark had a look in the engine compartment - couldn't immediately see any relays. Are these likely to be underneath the fuse tray.

I can see the large fuses which I believe are the maxi-fuses, please correct me if i'm wrong, but nothing that I would associate with a relay.

Appreciate all the help guys, don't know where i'd be without places like this!!

Cheers, Dale

:thumb:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Struggling with this, on the 807 there are 4 or so conventional relays separate to the fuseboard, maybe these are R5 & R6 but its more likely that they are built into the underside of the fuseboard. Maybe do a net search for the part you might get a picture of it. If you can get hold of a s/h board it may be possible to change R5.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Trying to calculate the beams required for a difficult loft conversion and ended up with insufficient headroom above the new stairs, grrr got to do it again good job the client doesn't know I am such a lightweight. Any distraction welcome, how about swoping the dip and main headlamp connections over in the headlamp unit if they are long enough, better than driving on main beam in the dark.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My headlight problem now seems like not such a bad thing!! Good luck :)

Been racking my brains all day, even called dealer to ask for price for a headlight relay but they needed a part no as just have a catalogue of parts.....said workshop would know but i'd need to book the car in for them to look at!!!

Had another look round the fuses boxes, turning sidelights on you can hear relay click sound but sure its the glovebox compartment...had a look round the engine unit for relays as goggle search a pic i've seen on here mentioned a relay box but nothing obvious I can see. This link details relay box item no 4, but isn't clear where this is located?

Took a pic as can see a small black box tucked (Image 0343) up text to the engine fuse box which sits in the wing - anyone know what this is?? Can't get to it without taking the lots out which i wouldn't know where to start with!

There's also a small black box bolted to the front of the ECU compartment? Attached pic of this also. (Image 0344) Although pretty sure this is glow plus relay.

Cheers

Dale

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Also found this diagram which looks to be like it does come from the BM34 unit not the BSI. Looking at the individual diagram for right/left headlamp you can see R5/R6 just where to find them :help:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts