Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

After some advice on a 307 likely fuel pump failure. Had a total loss of power and now car won't start, AA recovery guy did some tests on voltage, fuse etc to the low pressure pump and that all looks ok but when removing the fuel pipe feed to filter there was no fuel being fed from the tank. His diagnosis, largely confirmed by reading others experiences is that the in-tank low pressure pump has failed.

Where my concerns begin is that when searching for a replacement part, some of the in-tank units for that part seem to just be sender units rather than integrated pump and sender unit. Can anyone advise on this? I've included as much info as I hope will be needed below but car is outside and will provide any other info as required for anyone that can help.

Car: 2002 (52) HDI 90 2.0 307 Rapier
Fuel System: VDO/Siemens
In tank pump part number: 9632759780 (221.824/085/001)
Mileage: just under 140k (a fault free 140k as well!)

Over the last couple of weeks there has been some hesitancy under accelleration and there was a vibrating sound behind the drivers seat for last couple of days but I've kind of put that down to something rattling and not impending doom :( When turning key to ignition, there is no 'priming' sound from the 'pump' - my question I guess is whether this part is indeed a pump/sender unit or just a sender unit and I've a potentially more costly failure elsewhere.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that worries me a little then!

Anyway, symptoms - driving normally - then experienced what felt like a misfire and total loss of power. Car will no longer start. Cranks normally but very little attempt at firing. Fuel in lines, priming pump nice and hard.

I guess only diagnostics is going to help now?

D

·
0 Posts
Get a proper Peugeot diagnostic check done and get the fuel pressures on cranking checked.
The Siemens system is very weak so it likely to be related to it.

·
11,731 Posts
It was only a couple of months ago an AA man was telling a customer of mine he needed a new high pressure fuel pump where it was no more than a sticking in-tank fuel pump that needed a tap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 307hdi 2.0 rapier and have similar problems. I have replaced the in tank pump and found that it was full of crud. Problem seems to have moved further up the system now as the pump does not run every time I start up. When started runs great and if restarting shortly after switching off then no problems.
If left for more than an hour though I need to remove the fuses leave for thirty seconds and then replace for the pump to run. Testing at the pump connector shows no power to pump before fuses are removed so guessing this is a sensor error. Any suggestions much appreciated. Low budget so DIY is method of choice.

D

·
0 Posts
I have 307hdi 2.0 rapier and have similar problems. I have replaced the in tank pump and found that it was full of crud. Problem seems to have moved further up the system now as the pump does not run every time I start up. When started runs great and if restarting shortly after switching off then no problems.
If left for more than an hour though I need to remove the fuses leave for thirty seconds and then replace for the pump to run. Testing at the pump connector shows no power to pump before fuses are removed so guessing this is a sensor error. Any suggestions much appreciated. Low budget so DIY is method of choice.
What year is the car? Siemens or Bosch injection system?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi, My 307 HDi has just started 'kangarooing' this week, thought it may be due to cheap fuel, Oil company brands seem to suit it better and it definately lasts longer. ran it to the red, topped up with at least 80% pricey stuff, problem not so frequent: starts lurching and diesel knock type sound ( like air in the system) which seems to come from around the cylinder head area. seems to occur when accelerating; have run it for long periods on idle but it wont do it when I'm under the bonnet. Will put it on PP as there is also a recent fault with an ABS sensor, paying monthly for AA so will have them diagnose today as well, my garage has a new hand held diagnostic that seems to be all singing and dancing, booked in Tuesday.
Possibles? Fuel filter? lift pump if it has one? engine management telling to reduce fuel instead of increasing, Injector pump?

P

·
0 Posts
from what i've seen of AA and heard on here, they love to blame fuel pumps.

Also yet to see or hear of AA using decent diagnostic gear. You'd be better finding someone with planet local to you to get a proper diagnostic done. Be cheaper to...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Roger,

I had a series of faults besides the kangarooing, it was basically sorted after using a PP.

Really is best to get a PP diagnostic!! as it is dedicated to the marque,
I had several garages and some people that I know well in the trade trust to their generalised Hand-helds give me bum and sometimes costly results, if I let em!?
I don't want to knock the AA boys as they are only working with what they are supplied with, not their fault but it ain't good enough.

Back to your question;
ABS sensors on the nearside; connections damp and sensors crudded, basically a good clean, as described in ABS related posts, probably would have worked but I had them all replaced plus a couple of connectors from the scrappie, cleaned soldered and wrapped.

Also intermittent starting and running turned out to be, after a look round, a damaged camshaft sensor right at the top left hand side of the engine. Silly cover fixings worked loose and the cover vibrating against the sensor. Chucked the cover and tied the sensor with a cable tie, meant to replace the sensor but never did in 2 years without any more trouble.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have 2 l hdi dispach van wont start checkd fel pump in tank and when externaly powered works fine but no power given with ignition on or during cranking tried powering and bleeding at the manifold plenty of fuel but no injection no fault codes givrn sugested crank or cam angle sensors i need to locate them and where to buy replacements to try

·
Registered
441 Posts
This thread was started by "part Timer" since his first post 13curtis, seafisher, sensibledad have piggy backed onto this.

Please try and keep your threads seperate guys as its difficult to post replies as it may look like its for someone else. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts