Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have fixed a few things on my 307 but this has got me stumped so can someone help! By pointing me in the right direction please.

Peugeot 307 Rapier hdi estate, 1997cc, year 2003

I have a starting problem, the first time it happened I had just parked for 10 mins but when I went to start car, on turning the key in the ignition all electrics went dead, nothing would work, no dash lights nothing. I repeatedly tried and eventually all came back on and car started.
All was fine for a few days but has just done it again nothing would work, then all came on again but on turning the key all went dead and has remained dead, no dash lights nothing.

I did notice a very faint clock type ticking sound coming from the glove compartment fuse box area for a while when all was dead but on trying the ignition key it would stop for several seconds then start again, but this has now stopped totally.

Just went out to the car after about two hours and all was ok again.

The battery was new last year and terminals are clean, cant find any dodgy wires so don’t think it can be that, unless it’s a faulty battery ??

Please can you help as to what it might be?

Thanks

·
Registered
263 Posts
Terminals may be clean, but check the clamps as they have a habit of getting a white crust on them which causes problems.
Other logical thing to check is the ignition switch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank for that, but terminals are like hew pins.

Will have a look at the ignition switch, but why would this affect everything in the car and then randomly come back on when not being touched?

I am not questioning your answer, just like to know why.

Thanks for the reply.

S

·
0 Posts
I dont know what hew pins means, i assume clean!? :lol:

My negative terminal had a habit of wigginlg loose which used to cause this

Squeezed it together a bit so it gets a nice toght clamp on the terminal, problem solved!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I dont know what hew pins means, i assume clean!? :lol:

My negative terminal had a habit of wigginlg loose which used to cause this

Squeezed it together a bit so it gets a nice toght clamp on the terminal, problem solved!
It’s an old saying, “as clean as a new pin” yes, like a new one. Must be an age thing!! LOL.:lol:

Did find that the clamp on the positive post was not as tight as I would like, but I have sorted that one.

Thanks to all who have posted so far and will be now looking at the other ends of the earth, chassis, gear box, etc, etc.

It is working ok again at the moment but don’t think I have solved the problem, as found nothing that obvious wrong so far, but will keep you informed if I do find something but may take a few days for it to show up again.

Just hope it does not do it in the middle of nowhere!! LOL:nono::nono:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Even new batteries can have a bad cell.

See if you can pick up a battery from a junker (right amps of course) and install it for about 1 week. If the problems disappear you have your answer.

Also check your cable insulation, a temporary short circuit because of failed insulation in 1 place can be difficult to trace and will cause a ticking noise as it is grounding itself.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Had a similar issue on my old 307. Just driving along and car would go dead for a second. All lights off, speedo etc to zero. First time it happened on an unlit road heading in to luton and i crapped it! Spent ages trying to find a cause and never 100% did although once i had disconnected and reconnected the BSI it never happened again.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Trawling the forum it would seem that dirty connectors/ earths are responsible for several problems. They might look clean to the eye but not conductive, preventative maintenance would be as you open connectors spray electrical contact cleaner into them.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Had a similar issue on my old 307. Just driving along and car would go dead for a second. All lights off, speedo etc to zero. First time it happened on an unlit road heading in to luton and i crapped it! Spent ages trying to find a cause and never 100% did although once i had disconnected and reconnected the BSI it never happened again.
Did this occur a few times in a row where you felt like the car was after hitting something?
Did all the lights on the dashboard light up and then (a few seconds later) the airco turn itself back on?

·
Registered
83 Posts
maybe its a sticky solinoid valve on the starter motor. had this same problem with my 407 a two weeks back - same click click from the glove box, next time it happens put a direct current on the starter for sec see if she turns.

(davidireland gunna kill me for saying this). :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the suggestions, but so far after cleaning all the connections even though they didn’t look bad it hasn’t done it again, but not yet convinced I have solved the problem so time will tell!!

I will keep having a poke about and keep you all informed.

PS. May sound thick, but what is the BSI ???

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions, but so far after cleaning all the connections even though they didn’t look bad it hasn’t done it again, but not yet convinced I have solved the problem so time will tell!!

I will keep having a poke about and keep you all informed.

PS. May sound thick, but what is the BSI ???
did you get a direct current on the starter motor when this problems occurs? or change it?

the BSI controls the fuse box and all electrics going to it . If I were you, I'd change the starter or take it a reliable auto electrician, going to cost you the same either way - but then at least you know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally this intermittent fault manifested itself It turned out to be caused by the starter motor, the shaft inside the motor had side movement due to the bearings breaking up and allowing a short circuit inside the starter motor, An exchange replacement has sorted it.

Thanks for all the help, but no doubt it will not be long before I am back with another electrical fault it seems ???

1 - 17 of 17 Posts