Peugeot Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 307 2.0lt hdi diesel 2003, for the last 6 months my car seems to struggle to start in the mornings or if left for over 4 hours but it always starts.It takes 2/3 cranks each time and sounds like it wont start but it does, if i have been using it through out the day it starts first time .

Everyone keeps telling me glow plugs but i dont wanna go changing loads of parts with out a fix .A month ago it went in to the garage where they had it allday and found no faults. They told me they checked for fuel leaks , pressure leaks, battery and glow plugs but all were ok. I have had the battery checked in 2 different garages , both came back healthy.

Sometimes when it really struggles to start in the morning it throws the passenger airbag warning light on ? Also getting a lot of white smoke on start up when it dont start first time .
Just wondering if any one has had this problem also?

·
Registered
14,636 Posts
Fit an upgraded starter motor they get old and tired.

You are correct its not glowplugs it will start even if you unplug the glowplugs !

plenty of threads on here regarding weak starters

·
Registered
14,636 Posts
No normally only affects cold starting this is because when cold engine is harder to turn so the starter cannot quite get it turning fast enough when warm its fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How easy is it to repalce at home ? i'm i right in thinking its held in place by 3 bolts and a cable ? would i need to be under the car to access ?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
how old is the battery my 307 used to crank pretty slowly but I put a battery in with a better cold cranking Amp CCA been fine since the white smoke on startup is probably unburnt diesel due to it not starting soon enough

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I would say at least 5 years old ,was told it was on the edge of what the garage describe ok
I would at 5 year old be looking at a battery before winter i checked eurocarparts found the best battery with a good cranking capacity and picked it up

before the new battery it was pretty sluggish at turning the engine over Now it is a totally different story I even noticed the battery saving economy mode seems to take longer to initiate with the better battery . It may well be that your starter motor is getting tired but a new battery cured mine without lots of getting dirty taking off starter motors

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers for your input guys , the battery might be worth a shot first as economy mode comes up after about 20mins with the radio on

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
when i started the car this morning i turned on the lights before,every light inside the car was flashing as it struggled to start again

·
Registered
14,636 Posts
I would try a battery first then my recommendation of a starter was based on your post that battery was tested twice already !

Fit the highest cold cranking battery that will physically fit as the standard fit is just the minimum that will work just like the starter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2.0HDi/110(RHS) was also slow and difficult to start when cold.
I tried to replace oil, glowplugs :)-/ ); battery (700A) etc
Not until I fitted a 1.7kW starter it worked...

But you're right it's easy to replace battery :)
It's not too bad replacing the starter though.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
I had poor cold start issues on an 04 plate 307, thought I'd cracked it when I fitted a new battery but not long after the longish cranks returned. Guess it needed the uprated starter as well but I never got to find out due to trading it in.

If the battery is five years old then it's overdue a change anyays so replacing it should be a priority and if still suffering from poor starting then the next step would be to replace the tired starter, preferably with the 1,7Kw unit. I also got lots of white smoke when cold starting when it was struggling to fire up. Was fine once the engine was running.

·
Registered
3 Posts
peugeot 2.0 hdi

I have same problem with my 2002 Peugeot 2.0 hdi I lost key but still had fob got new ignition had battery off now struggles to kick into life white smoke when starting but seems to be loseing power revs take ages to pick up like in safe mode any ideas :confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi I have Peugeot partner 2.0hdi 2002 lost part of key but still had fob but now when starting van white smoke comes out exhaust with no acceleration but gradually picks up with foot to floor starts fine all day but seems as if losing power can anybody help :lol::lol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.