Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi and thanks for having me on the forum. just bought a 307 1.4 hdi with genuine 34,000 mls. i took the risk as the car had suspected belt failure. i have got it home and found the tensioner has collapsed sending the edge belt through cam cover. i asked owner and they said they heard a clonk noise,not sounding good. i have done a belt change on one these before and pretty sure i am wasting my time looking to see if any valves are bent and to just remove head instead. i am sure on these engine unlike the older non turbo 306's that the pistons do hit the valves on cambelt failure?? does it do any cam/followers damage too? cheers

·
Registered
586 Posts
You might be lucky. A bore scope may help although the injectors will need to be removed first. I like taking the camcover of to see if there is a larger gap between the followers and the camshaft on some cylinders which is a sure sign of a bent valve

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
removed the rocker cover,what a task. looking at each valve appears non bent. same play between rocker and valve on all 8,so fingers crossed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
update

just an update,fitted new cambelt and engine started,no real evidence of valve damage but seems quite a lot of back pressure through oil filler cap, quite noisy through air filter pipe,smoke coming out exhaust and absoloutly no power in engine,but no engine management light on. obvious signs that theres damage somewhere

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi,yes feels smooth with good compression. ive read these hdi engines normally survive valve damage and the rockers break instead. cheers

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have now removed the full cam and housing and found one rocker damaged. the damage was the pin the holds the roller bearing in was half out causing the roller to drop one side. i think this would cause problems on one cylinder. i have used a straight edge to go along tops of the valves to see if any are lower and there is very,very slight gaps in number one inlet and exhaust,maybe very slightly bent. dunno if i should remove head,any advice?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Could you do a compression test on it?, if you are in any doubt it may be worth taking the head off, you could give it a good clean out and if viable replace any duff valves, if it hasn't over heated you should get away with not skimming it, just a good clean up, new head gasket etc be best for peace of mind if you are comfortable doing that, it'll probably be quicker than trying to work round it in the long run.
Failing that a compression test after putting new bits on will tell you if it has a problem i think.
:cool:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have taken off the head. i cannot see any bent valves. i have put degreaser down the ports and no leaks at all. any help on this please?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Were all the valves operating properly with the roller misplaced, no damage to the guides and seals. It may be due to that the power was down and smoke visible. Also a problem we had when racing, when a valve was bent by a piston the piston became holed, are yours intact? no cracks or holes?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the camshaft key on shaft for pully was intact on removal. before i took head off was when i found the damaged roller pin/bearing. before this is when i just fitted the new cambelt and had the smoke and no compression with the loud noise coming through filter. i repaired the roller/rocker bearing and but all back gether. enginge was still noisey. this is why i opted to strip down and remove head. i cannot see any damage at alll or indeed valve contact with pistons, thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
When you had the head off you should have removed the camshafts so all valves are closed Turn the head upside down (camshaft side on the floor) and fill up the little wells in the head with white spirit if you do not have bent valves it will stay there if you have bent valves it soon disappears

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hi,the head is still off with camshaft removed and valves are closed. i filled with degreaser and non leaked,ill try white spirit. can the hydraulic lifters sustain damage with cambelt failure? thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok,ive checked pistons,no damage. ive checked all lifters and all are good,as are the rockers. i have removed all 8 valves and very carefully checked them all in turn and non at all bent. i have noticed though on some of the valves a very high amount of carbon build up,not seen as much as this before on a valve,dunno if this would have caused the problem i have. if not,the only thing i can do is replace all lifters,valves and rockers but something tells me the last owner may have had other problems before cambelt went having so much carbon build up. it is original 35k on the clock,first 3 years was 25k,rest couple k each year. sometimes low mileage stop/start isnt always good

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
any help here please?seems ive completly wasted time on this engine. i have rebuilt head,re ground valves,new gasket. put it all back together and exactly the same. when i had the head off,it didnt even look like the pistons had contacted the valves,no marks on pistons. the exessive noise appears to be coming from the turbo/exhaust manifold as if the gases arnt escaping rather than leaking valves. the car wont rev high and has no power at all. just woundering now if the turbo has failed or a blocked cat converter, this is the problem as i have no history of the car before the cam tensioner failed,may have had other issues. cheers

·
Registered
29 Posts
It may be your exhaust is blocked try disconnecting at the manifold and see if the car revs better
I have had the symptoms you describe on an older car it was because the silencer had collapsed and the engine could not breathe.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hi and thanks for all advice. i have had a guy out now who works at peugeot and he has said the timing is out. he said maybe not on the belt but on these he said the cam would have moved on a belt failure. i dunno how or where on a camshaft where it can throw the timing out. thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
ok after bit more research apparantly the cam lobes on these 1.4 hdi engines are pressed and not a molded as such camshaft. peugeot mechanic states he has worked for 19 years and is 90 percent sure on a belt failure the cam lobes will be out. the camshaft is one thing i didnt check properly as i have never heard this before,even searching back on this forum. in google there are are few posts on different forums where this problem has in fact happened :confused:
now i am suspicious regarding that number 7 rocker being damaged.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts