Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

Newbie here with a car with countless problems!!!
Bought in april for £1300 so far had a new clutch (£600), new alternator (£200), new exhaust (£180), plus coutless other bits and pieces! Thought that was it for my run of bad luck but just realised something else today!!!

Ok, so its warm today right 21 degrees, car running at 70......75......80......85....90.....92....85....80....92...90... this has only just started happening.

Thought, thats a bit weird. Got home, left the car idling, same problem. Checked the cooling fan.....JACKPOT. Not working, brilliant I thought! Checked all the seating of all the connections, hit the fan with a spanner, fired it back up and boom, it worked! I thought brilliant!
Turned car off, started again, fan not working, damn.

Finally after hours of head scratching and internet research figured out that the cooling fan comes on when i switch the air con on in the car. Someone said that this could be a busted relay. Is this right? Should I take this to an auto electrician before my mammoth trek from Leeds to Bournemouth this weekend? Also, how much is my wallet going to suffer?
Any help would be muchly appreciated!!!

I really really love my car, but really hate the fact that the reliability of the 307 aint particularly good (electronics-wise)!

Thanks,

Tom

·
11,711 Posts
Don't give up, there are some good 307s out there. My first one did over 50,000 in two years with virtually no problems (ABS sensors needed cleaning and re-seating and I needed to repair the heater block because of a burnt out wire), and my current one which is up for sale is pretty much immaculate so someone is going to get a really good car!

I diagnose countless Pugs and as soon as I lift the bonnet I see neglect. The days of people spending their Sundays working on their car and performing routine maintenance are dead, they'd rather run the car until it breaks, then throw money at a garage then whinge at the cost and that Pugs are unreliable.

As for yours, AUTODATA does show an issue with the fan relays. There are two speeds - a steady slow run when aircon is on then high speed when the car is hot. But I'd get a Peugeot Planet check before replacing them.

I had a problem with my fan about six months ago. I took off the front grille, disconnected the fan, cleaned the electrical connections and relays with contact cleaner and it's been fine ever since.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
where can i get a peugeot planet check near leeds? If I just take it to my auto electrician should he be able to do something like this, he's pretty good.

I am one of those people who does routine maintenance on a sunday! I do love my car and hate those people who just drive them into the ground!

Thanks for your help!

T

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ah im in bournemouth all weekend mate, but thanks for the offer, ill nip and see my auto-sparky, im sure he'll be able to sort it!

Thanks for your advice!!!

T

·
Registered
27 Posts
Do as I did, find the spam page on the forum to get your 20 posts out the way then look at the map linked above to see who is nearest then send a PM. Ive only just started to use the forum myself and so far have been impressed with the knowledge offered and assistance given from a forum member using his Peugeot Planet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts