Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you can see from the 2 pictures i've uploaded ( will alter size if they come out to large )

The fan inside the turbo has had some damage, possible rubbing as i didn't see any foreign objects apart from small particles of the fan ?
what would be the cause ? bearing ?
there does seem to be a small amount of play in it but spins freely . Would it be possible to change fan and fix the cause and how if possible. I have not taken turbo completely apart as it was getting dark.

The reason i noticed, was changing air filter as the car is due its service so took off the pipe from turbo and air filter. Car has been a bit flat last few weeks.

many thanks in advance.

·
5,638 Posts
It does look like it has ingested something. Normally the outer of the turbine is damaged from bearings as turbine floats in housing and blades touch outer casing. Ingestion hits blades where pipe enters turbo so closer to center spindle

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply Windy1603. It sounds logical with what you are saying but no idea what it would have ingested to cause that damage because its been a few months since any work has been done on the car.

How would i go about changing it as the turbine and spindle move together, i can see that the spindle has threads so is it a simple task of un-screwing damaged one off and replacing, after i determine that nothing else was the cause that is.
Maybe i should find a picture of the turbo parts and get a proper understanding of how it actually works and goes together. :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Looks like its a 1.6 HDI turbo, You have to remove the turbo from the car to replace the compressor fan by holding the nut on the exhaust turbine and undoing, it please note that it is a LEFT hand threaded nut.
In theory the complete shaft is balanced so just replacing the compressor fan may cause it to vibrate a bit like balancing your car wheels or not

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Thanks for your reply Windy1603. It sounds logical with what you are saying but no idea what it would have ingested to cause that damage because its been a few months since any work has been done on the car.

How would i go about changing it as the turbine and spindle move together, i can see that the spindle has threads so is it a simple task of un-screwing damaged one off and replacing, after i determine that nothing else was the cause that is.
Maybe i should find a picture of the turbo parts and get a proper understanding of how it actually works and goes together. :)
unless you have the proper equipment to rebalance the turbo then you can not just change the splines, you could however just replace the centre cartridge as that does work out a bit cheaper and does not even take long to do

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the tips, advice guys. Once i have taken it off it looks like i will replace the center cartridge. :thumb:

·
Registered
453 Posts
I got my cartridge off ebay from "turbocharger-systems" Arrived next day and found to be very helpful when I rang tem about the part numbers
Cost me less than £100

·
Registered
453 Posts
I did that too as it was full of oil (1.5 pints of oil in cooler) don't forget to clean/replace mesh filter in the bottom of the oil feed pipe !

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did that too as it was full of oil (1.5 pints of oil in cooler) don't forget to clean/replace mesh filter in the bottom of the oil feed pipe !
Thanks for your advice again John, that was my next question. I noticed oil going through to the intercooler, is this another cause of the same problem ? whats the best way to clean out the cooler ?

My turbo OEM part number is 753420 - 0002 and seen quite a few 753420 on ebay. Just need to get the part ordered and clean out pipes and check that intercooler by taking it off on wednesday ( working late tomorrow )

The other side of the center cartridge seemed fine, a bit sooted up thou.. what is the best oil when doing an oil change, manual says between 5/30 and 10/40 ? something with low carbon ?

thank you all, its nice to know help is only a post away

·
5,638 Posts
New feed pipe should not have a filter fitted, they have been deleted as they cause more issues from restricted oil flow as they clog than the fine particles passing through turbo bearings

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are you saying, i should remove the mess filter from the old oil feed pipe ?

center cartridge, low sap oil, fuel air and oil filters ordered too. The car has never had a cabin pollen filter since i have had the car, is this filter that important ?

cheers

·
5,638 Posts
I would remove the mesh filter the oil feed to turbo comes off of the feed directly after oil filter so should be fine, the mesh just clogs over time and causes oil starvation to turbo.

Change pollen filter not a hard job and filter is about £10 max. Blocked filter restricts air flow to fan in car, giving poor blower operation and often extra load on fan burns out resistor/speed controller

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
yes it needs a pollen filter to filter the air.

mine and my mums 1.6hdis both have no mesh fitted. i havent check the bottom of the pipe but the one by the turbo definitely hasnt got any

·
Registered
453 Posts
Didn't know about the Peugeot mod of removing the oil pipe mesh filter - thanks very much for that info Windy- mine was clear anyway as was the sump and oil pickup filter - must have been very well serviced in the past.:lol:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yes it needs a pollen filter to filter the air.

mine and my mums 1.6hdis both have no mesh fitted. i havent check the bottom of the pipe but the one by the turbo definitely hasnt got any
Mine too, no mesh at turbo side, not checked bottom end of oil feed pipe yet.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The filter is in the bottom behind the DPF.
Yes, now taken the oil feed pipe off and no filter either end. Took inter-cooler off and there were some oil in it after flushing it out but not excessive. What is the cause of the oil going through to the turbo-charger and inter-cooler, also is the inter-cooler just air cooled ?

snapped clamp on bottom of dpf due to corrosion :rolleyes: but nothing else.

What i must ask is that there was no metal gasket between turbo casing and turbo manifold. metal gasket in picture ( 4 holes )

i'm assuming there should always be a gasket ?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts