Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there :)

Car (1.6hdi) had anti pollution system faulty & was put onto planet which said glow plugs were duff, among other things. Car was in at a local garage yesterday to have them changed but 2 are stuck firm & I can't afford for them to snap. What happens if I keep driving it anyway? I've read on here they're not used much for starting but if they don't work it won't regen meaning what?

To cut a long story short the car stands me at 3k with the purchase & servicing. Should I disclose the fault & hope someone wants to buy it & cut my losses or keep on driving it?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers,
Lee

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Hi Lee

Don't try this unless someone thinks it may work

I am thinking metal expands when hot contracts when cold. If engine was warm and local to the glow plug you cooled then tried straight away to remove it may do the trick

Have to say not sure of location of glow plugs so may be unable for you to try.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
437 Posts
Your car will be fitted with a diesel particulate filter in the exhaust system which catches exhaust deposits. When the filter fills up with soot the car will clear out the filter by burning the soot off, this is the regen. This is what you need the glow plugs to be working for.

If the car cannot regen then the soot will overload the filter and you will get more anti pollution etc warnings and probably go into limp mode.

Sorry not too technical but hope it helps you understand why you need your glow plugs

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. I have read that they come out easier when the engine is hot but I can't really afford to have the head taken off to retrieve bits if it does all go south. Just a bit concerned that it works ok now, but in 'x' amount of time will the anti pollution fault come back & then I won't be able to drive the car properly or get rid of it!

Cheers,
Lee

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Roky, that's exactly the sort of straight forward laymans answer I was hoping for - thanks. Obviously I'd rather it didn't happen but maybe selling up is better sooner rather than later.

Cheers,
Lee

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Allan,

It's that age old problem of whether to sink more money in or not? I'm not crazy about the car but who's to say the next car will be any better lol

Cheers,
Lee

·
Registered
909 Posts
if the problem is not sorted then the filter WILL block and it WILL blow your turbo and destroy your engine. This problem needs fixin, and not leavin. If you continue to drive the car with the glow plugs not workin you are creatin more very expensive probelms.

Are you sure its the plugs and not the relay thats broken?

·
11,790 Posts
What mileage is the car and what kind of previous history have you got?

If its spent its life on the motorway then stress on the DPF system will be low.

But if its been a "town tootler" it will have had lots of regens.

If the car is at the garage for plug changing then its their problem, not yours.

You could get rid but remember that the next one you buy could be someone else's problem they've decided to palm onto someone. There's always a reason someone is selling a car, and not all of them good!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Car is on 106k but I've no idea what it's life was like before 103k. Service history is patchy so not the best news. The fault came up in planet which was meant to be glow plugs but I didn't look at the code.

The garage put the ball in my court & said they might snap then the head needs to come off so it's your call, so I told them to hold fire.

Thanks for all the replies anyway. Decisions decisions.

Cheers,
Lee

·
Registered
23 Posts
I did them on my 1.6 hdi a few days ago and except for all the plastic things you have to remove it went smooth. One plug was a bit stuck and gave me a screaming noise from all the carbon on the top. I turned a little and pulled at the same time and sprayed penetrating oil and after 30 minutes it just came out. I think time and oil did the trick.
The other 3 came out almost by themselves.

The top is made of ceramic with resistive wire coiled inside, it makes sense that such material is weak especially if you just pull.

The job took me the whole day because of all the things i had to remove.

A tip could be to change your fuel- and air-filter at the same time when you anyway remove them. And prime the fuelfilter first so you dont have to use the primepump forever like i did.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts