Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

Im new on here, bought a 2003 307 2.0 hdi rapier 90 with 120k on the clock september last year and had no issues with it at the time. started on the button every time,untill the cold came, its got progresively worse over the winter and now has failed to start the past week.

In the morning it will now turn over and over until it flattens the battery. even after a full charge. it doesnt seem to be turning over as quickly as i think it should.

Spent most of the day on here reading other posts and im unsure what to do next. Im leaning towards starter motor as ive read on here about it being under powered. Dont really want to start shelling out too much money without a definate diagnosis.

Are there any more powerful starter motors from other pugs that fit this?? Id rather risk £20 on a second hand one than £80 on a new one without knowing exactly what the problem is.

Everything else seems to work fine, glow plugs come on, hear the relay click on and off, fitted a one way valve to the fuel line to prevent fuel flowing back with no change. once its warm it starts straigt away. the longer its left the longer it takes to start.

Hope someone can help, Ive come to find in car forums that youre more knowledgeable than the dealers!!!

many thanks in advance for any help.

Dave

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had the same issue on my hdi 90 xsara but me being tight i decided to clean up all the starter electrical connections and earth points on the chassis, cilit bang works a treat then copper grease them after.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys, ill try cleaning connections tonight. I don't know when it last had a battery as we've only had it about 8 months. It looks fairly new, it's had a full charge and that makes no difference. I put my bigger van battery on it yesterday which is 3 months old and still no change even though its a higher cca. The battery off the pug started my van but that starts first turn of the key anyway. Hence why I'm leaning towards starter.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
hi guys,

Im new on here, bought a 2003 307 2.0 hdi rapier 90 with 120k on the clock september last year and had no issues with it at the time. started on the button every time,untill the cold came, its got progresively worse over the winter and now has failed to start the past week.

In the morning it will now turn over and over until it flattens the battery. even after a full charge. it doesnt seem to be turning over as quickly as i think it should.

Spent most of the day on here reading other posts and im unsure what to do next. Im leaning towards starter motor as ive read on here about it being under powered. Dont really want to start shelling out too much money without a definate diagnosis.

Are there any more powerful starter motors from other pugs that fit this?? Id rather risk £20 on a second hand one than £80 on a new one without knowing exactly what the problem is.

Everything else seems to work fine, glow plugs come on, hear the relay click on and off, fitted a one way valve to the fuel line to prevent fuel flowing back with no change. once its warm it starts straigt away. the longer its left the longer it takes to start.

Hope someone can help, Ive come to find in car forums that youre more knowledgeable than the dealers!!!

many thanks in advance for any help.

Dave
try clean all earth points, battery terminals and starter terminals, have the battery and alternator tested usually free at any car spares shop, failing that it could be injectors (plug into pp2000 and look at live stream data on injectors) or low compression (have compression tested) or even a weak fuel pump

·
5,812 Posts
When was the fuel filter last changed as these trap any water in the fuel and the trapped water etc can freeze restricting fuel flow in cold weather making starting difficult

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi guys, cleaned up all terminals, battery is now new, alternator tested ok. fuel filter changed at last service 4000 miles ago but will change again this week. still struggled to start today at 11 degrees outside. ?????:(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes 53 reg 2.0hdi rapier 90hp. A lot of ppl suggested a lot of different things but as I'd already ruled a few things out I went down this line. I knew I was on to a winner when I went to buy the new starter and they gave me options to upgrade it. They told me they don't recommend putting a like for like one back on this model!!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hi,

Have you tried cleaning the intake throttle body butterfly valve?

If this is gunged up, the cold weather can make it solidify and stick.

When hot it softens up allowing it to move.

might be fine, but its free to clean so might be worth a look...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I will give this a try as well thanks. I should befitting the starter today or tommorow so will let yous know how I get on. ��

1 - 20 of 21 Posts