Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whilst changing the glow plugs earlier today for a starting issue the glow plugs have broken.
The glow plugs came out with such ease that I used a ratchet screwdriver to undo them(didn't need a ratchet handle for leverage), this is why I am so surprised that they have broken.
The body threaded out, however the tip remained in the head and the electrode rod is still sticking out.
Firstly does anyone have any knowledge of the 307 hdi 2.0 90hp head?
I want to know if there is any chance the tip could now fall inside the head or if the seat for the glow plug is tapered and therefore impossible to drop in.

Secondly I am located in Wiltshire and wonder if anyone knows of companies willing to travel to extract glow plugs. Any ideas of cost?!
Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
153 Posts
Whilst changing the glow plugs earlier today for a starting issue the glow plugs have broken.
The glow plugs came out with such ease that I used a ratchet screwdriver to undo them(didn't need a ratchet handle for leverage), this is why I am so surprised that they have broken.
The body threaded out, however the tip remained in the head and the electrode rod is still sticking out.
Firstly does anyone have any knowledge of the 307 hdi 2.0 90hp head?
I want to know if there is any chance the tip could now fall inside the head or if the seat for the glow plug is tapered and therefore impossible to drop in.

Secondly I am located in Wiltshire and wonder if anyone knows of companies willing to travel to extract glow plugs. Any ideas of cost?!
Thanks in advance,
are you sure it actually has the electrodes still in there?(some muppet may have chopped the ends off and fitted them instead of buying some,eg after fitting a replacement head)
as the hole is bigger than the electrode to allow for them expanding when hot,and also to prevent this happening,i would suggest turning it over by hand to see if theres any compression.
if they are tapered which i dont think they are,you could try to blow them out on the starter.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the tips are definitely in the head because I can see them.
The car starts and runs fine currently.
I either have to get someone to remove the remains and then fit new plugs or put up with cold start issues and leave it as it is.
I have concerns though that the tips could loosen and drop into the head.
Thanks

·
Registered
14,628 Posts
The tips would more likely get blown out by the compression rather than fall in :)

You have given yourself an unnecessary headache the glowplugs do very little to help starting on HDIS they are non essential as your car is a 90 so has no DPF so doubt your starting issue is anything to do with them my bet would be a weak starter i always change starters first 9 times out of 10 this is the real issue they get old and turn too slow.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The tips would more likely get blown out by the compression rather than fall in :)

You have given yourself an unnecessary headache the glowplugs do very little to help starting on HDIS they are non essential as your car is a 90 so has no DPF so doubt your starting issue is anything to do with them my bet would be a weak starter i always change starters first 9 times out of 10 this is the real issue they get old and turn too slow.
i agree with reliable,they would blow out,i personally wouldnt run it,but if your that way inclined,thrash the knackers off it to try to dislodge them,or drive steady and see,leave the threaded parts out obviously.
ive never heard of that before,would it be possible if not tapered to carefully knock them through,remove injectors then retrieve with one of those telescopic magnets through the injector hole,oviously ensuring pistons not at tdc?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it's not tapered I believe you can tap them in.
I spoke to someone who said to put engine at thc to ensure the valves are closed, tap the tip in, extract through the injector hole(apparently they aren't magnetic) then fit a air line in the injector port to blow any crap out.
Yes this was my concern, if I leave the threaded part in and they dislodge they can't possibly fire out so they may drop back in. But if I leave the threaded part out I can't reconnect the wiring circuit across the glow plugs.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right, I have just disconnected injector plugs for better access and to see if I can pull the plugs out with mole grips etc.
They are really solidly in the head.
Now, having reconnected the injectors it's now come up with anti pollution fault. I know it's lying and must be to do with me disturbing the system. My question is, will these automatically disappear after so many starts like most cars do or do I have To get it plugged in to Peugeot planet?
Thanks

·
Registered
14,628 Posts
The bit that remains is held by all the carbon round it it wont pull out but if you run the engine it might pop out.

You can force them into the head and then get them out the injector hole as people say but i have never tried as i dont ever change them :)

IF it was me i would fire some carb cleaner in the hole let it soak in then fire it up hopefully compression would force it out like i do with stuck injectors.

Your fault will go away once you run it a few times.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What determines the cancellation of the anti pollution fault.
So many successful starts?
Thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok thanks,
I wouldn't just keep starting stopping anyway.
Don't want to burn the starter motor out.
Any idea how many runs? Like 50 or something?
Cheers

·
Registered
153 Posts
If it's not tapered I believe you can tap them in.
I spoke to someone who said to put engine at thc to ensure the valves are closed, tap the tip in, extract through the injector hole(apparently they aren't magnetic) then fit a air line in the injector port to blow any crap out.
Yes this was my concern, if I leave the threaded part in and they dislodge they can't possibly fire out so they may drop back in. But if I leave the threaded part out I can't reconnect the wiring circuit across the glow plugs.
i say pistons not at tdc to preven piston damage,you can turn it to tdc by hand when knocked through,if not magnetic retrieve with some really sticky grease on the end of a screwdriver or thin dowel,as for the glowplug wiring simply remove from engine loom or tape up as its unlikley they will power up at todays temperature.
can i just add it may be a good idea if you could use a brake pipe fitting screwed into the glowplug hole to protect the threads you can get them with 10+12 mm threads,it would also act as a guide for whatever drift you use.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts