Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although my 307CC is not overheating (as yet) the guage showed it getting pretty close to the red mark on my way home today.
Ambient temperatures on the drive from Abu Dhabi to Dubai today were close to 40C, cruise control was set to 138Kph and a/c was (naturally) on. Under these conditions would my 2 litre petrol engine normally be struggling to keep cool or might this be the first sign of something evil? Coolant and oil levels were ok and temperature did drop to normal in slower traffic.

·
Registered
287 Posts
ive never driven in dhabi but from what ive seen on travel programs etc its pretty manic.

as much as id say "wtf are you doing driving at 90mph" ive never driven there.

but the advice is sound, drive slower. 90mph in high temp enveriments is probably quite taxing on the engine.

but it would be worth checking out if the cooling system is working properly. collent level isnt low, temp sensors are working properly, and dependinant on milage ive heard of water pump impellars brekaing apart cayusing overheating.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
peugeot 307 getting hot

Thanks for your responses guys ... yes indeed, I did slow down .... a bit, and I even turned the a/c off for a while.
The E11 from Dubai to Abu Dhabi is one of the scariest roads that I have ever driven on ... although the speed limit is 120 the many radar traps allow for a 20 kph error so they are set for 140. So guess what speed the traffic flows at for most of the 120 Km trip ???? Keeping up with the traffic flow is, I think, the safest option.
This morning at 7am the temperature outside was only 31C on the way down to Abu Dhabi from Dubai and fortunately the temperature sat around the 90 mark the whole way. So let's hope that the combination of 40C temperatures, high speed and the a/c blasting away was asking just a tad much out of the cooling system. However this is still only summer in the region, there is another season here and its called "extreme summer" where I have seen temperatures of 50 plus, not however with my 307 which I acquired only 8 months ago. My query was partly planning ahead for the conditions that we will be expecting in a month or so.
But yes, I certainly will take the car to the dealer to get the a/c efficiency checked and maybe have the cooling system flushed properly. Pretty harsh conditions for any car I know but I'm planning to drive the car back to Europe (through Iran, Turkey etc) and I certainly need it to be in as good a condition as it can be.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
once it gets to about 100 the fan will come on not ideal as the engines very hot

in the uk we never normally have this unless were in traffic on super hot day

make sure the cooling system is good. so flush the radiator check water pump is good and fill with antifreeze. may seem odd but it actually highers the point of boiling.

make sure the coolant cap is good too at those tempretures it may let the coolant evaporate through there

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
It will do no harm to check the fins on both the condensor and radiator aren't obstructed and are allowing a good air flow.

Was the car sold new in Abu Dhabi?, perhaps it needs a heavy duty radiator for the extreme heat it has to deal with.

Roger.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
response to Roger

Good point Roger. I know that the car is Gulf spec but don't know whether this includes a HD radiator.
Did take it into the dealer and he mentioned the flap for flow through air could be giving trouble. Temperatures here now consistently above 40C but "so far so good". Water temp stabilising around 90-95C.
Only had a 206CC here in "extreme Summer" and that was fine. Let's hope the 307CC is as rugged eh?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hi,

Maybe check the thermostat is functioning properly??

Would be a relatively cheap fix and not too invasive... given it's job and where it is, it can suffer from wear/corrosion/fatigue.

This will undoubtedly effect the circulation of the coolant resulting in adverse temperatures..

Regards

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My original plan was to drive the 307CC from Dubai, up through Iran/Turkey and into Europe to the south of France. Would have been a wonderful road trip but being unable to guarantee a safe route because of various "troubles" in the Middle East. I eventually shipped the car to the UK and drove it via the Eurotunnel to its new home in Languedoc Rousillon. The car behaved itself beautifully (although Parisian ring road traffic did cause it to get a tad hot). And now alas, the problems of getting it registered in France...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts