Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I am new to the forum, actually i just bought a 307 today. I was taking a risk by buying it but i got it for such a good price that even if its the geerbox i would still come out good. Here is the problem.

Its a 2001 307, manual geerbox, 101k km on the odo. Shifting geers goes really smooth, no problems there at all, not hard to shift to any gear, no problems in shifting to reverse.

When the car is in neutral there and the clutch is not depressed there is no strange sounds coming from the car. When i start driving the car it starts to make a sound but when i deepress the clutch the noise is gone, if i let the clutch go the noise comes back. Now i was told by my friend who is a hobby mechanic, repairs cars during the weekends, and has a citroen that its just the clutch, the clutch bearing and all that stuff that need to be replaced, but another mechanic told me that this is probablly a geerbox bearing.

Now as you can imagine i am hoping its the clutch only and not the geerbox. The best way i can explain the sound is like two stones rubbing at each other, its not too loud but you know there is something wrong with the thing. What made me buy the car is that it looks in excelent shape and it has low milage. This will be my second car that my wife will use in the city only but i would like to know if any of you had problems like this and if you would know is this the geerbox or the clutch.

Thank you all up front.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Gearbox Noise

Im glad to hear some one is having a similar problem.
I recently purchased my 307 in april (2002 1.6 16v)
Mine is making a whining noise in all gear's and its pitch gets higher and higher through speed, when i open the clutch the noise dissapears, when t's closed, noisy again...
It is extremely noisy around 40/50 and dies off around 65/70

Im kinda hoping its a thrust bearing in my clutch but i have been assured its a bearing on the output of the gearbox.

In addition, at around 30, if i open the clutch, i can hear the whining very feint, if i knock it out of gear it completely dissapears on its engagement, i also get a grunt as i select through gears.

I hope someone can advise what is wrong, i'm unfortunately kinda expecting a 600-700 repair bill :eek:

kind regards pete

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
im going to say flywheel on all these occasions...when my thrust bearing went, it squeeled when i pressed the clutch pedal. before it went it made a sound like a screw loose in a spinning can.

when you are getting your flywheel sorted (if you do) i would personally get the clutch kit replaced aswell.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well tomorrow after work i am going to a repair shop, which as well a scrap yard for peugeot´s and they will check it out. The guy has a gearbox from another 307 station and if its the bearing in the gearbox i will just let him put the other gearbox in the car, probablly better and faster. I dont know what to think anymore, some mechs say its the clutch preassure bearing some say its the gearbox bearing. My understanding is that if its the gearbox i would haer that noise even when i am in neutral but that doesnt happen, its only when the car is in gear, any gear. I will keep you informed on how it goes tomorrow.
Cheers

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ive had a similar problem with the mech's to be honest would be interesting to see how you get on.. to my understanding the gearbox is on the output side of the clutch so no sound would be heard until its in movement.. i was hoping mine would be the clutch, but on 2 occasions ive been told its the gearbox :S

·
Registered
65 Posts
Im glad to hear some one is having a similar problem.
I recently purchased my 307 in april (2002 1.6 16v)
Mine is making a whining noise in all gear's and its pitch gets higher and higher through speed, when i open the clutch the noise dissapears, when t's closed, noisy again...
It is extremely noisy around 40/50 and dies off around 65/70

Im kinda hoping its a thrust bearing in my clutch but i have been assured its a bearing on the output of the gearbox.

In addition, at around 30, if i open the clutch, i can hear the whining very feint, if i knock it out of gear it completely dissapears on its engagement, i also get a grunt as i select through gears.

I hope someone can advise what is wrong, i'm unfortunately kinda expecting a 600-700 repair bill :eek:

kind regards pete
Hi!
Your problem is your gearbox, I had them problem on my 52 307, I thought it's just something on the engine but then when I had full service, mechanic told me my gearbox has to be replaced but then replacing it with a new one will end up with that sound again because it's a normal problem on 307 especially on years 2001-2003 as they are getting old. What I the mechanic did was reconditioned my gearbox and will go for 5 or more years more.

I paid 350 quid reconditioning it and installing it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks for the heads up!, ive had some quotes from cornwall and devon transmissions with respect to getting it reconditioned, did he mention if it was a bearing or the gears itself? ive been directed towards a bearing, which is cheaper for them to repair than the gears themselves. will look at getting it in the garage then :O

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's better to recondition the whole gearbox itself, cause you'll get new parts in your gearbox. Your clutch is ok, save money for reconditioning your gearbox. It's worth it. My car was 84k Miles on it before I reconditioned it, now I have 93k and still working well and my clutch is still ok.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thats reassuring! im just coming up to 80k has been doing it since april when it was on 72k, starting to really bug me now lol
I've been told that i should get it to the garage asap but i shouldnt suffer catastrophic failure anytime soon, im slightly worried as i have to go to cumbria in it in a couple of weeks (from central cornwall) do you think i may have any problems? ive prepared with aa labour and parts cover lol

·
Registered
65 Posts
Recondition it before you go as it is dangerous when it reaches the end level, it will just go BANG! and you might lose control of the car if you were driving fast.

If you wanna makenit cheaper, as tou said you got AA parts cover then wait until your gearbox is gone and they gonna give you brand new
one but then the hassle and time. :)

P.S what I put here is based on my experiences!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi again

Yes it's the bearings in the gearbox. I am taking the car to a repair shop on Saturday and I am hoping they wil have all the spare parts in Iceland so that I don't have to wait for two weeks to get them. The shop I am taking my car deals with this stuff all the time and the guy just told me he had a vw polo, some ford, Renault and a few Peugeot to do the same thing. He told me that the gears are nearly always fine and don't need any replacing but that he recommends replacing all the bearings and the clutch as well.

I will let you know how it goes

·
Registered
96 Posts
This is cornwall, everything is so much more expensive here.. miss living in manchester, could probably get it repaired for a similar amount to you. ive been quoted for repair, he was wanting 600+ for an exchange box

1 - 20 of 25 Posts