Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So..

A few weeks ago my car started making a wierd knocking/tapping noise.

I new it was definitely in or around the engine bay, at first I thought it was tappets.

But the noise was louder in certain gears, and disappeared all together when I put my foot on the clutch, it also got faster the faster u I drove.

No noise when I idle though..
So I assumed it was clutch/gear box. All though my gearing is absolutely flawless.

It's just that tapping noise!

Ive just got back from the garage, who have told me I need a whole new gearbox!

I wasn't really given a particular reason why, something to do with the diff?

So Im just wondering if anyone knows exactly what this is?

What is actually happening to my car whilst the gearbox is this way?

Is it safe to drive?

What will happen if it 'goes'.. Will my car just stop moving.. And what will the consequences of that be?

·
Registered
183 Posts
So..

A few weeks ago my car started making a wierd knocking/tapping noise.

I new it was definitely in or around the engine bay, at first I thought it was tappets.

But the noise was louder in certain gears, and
disappeared all together when I put my foot on the clutch, it also got faster the faster u I drove.

No noise when I idle though..
So I assumed it was clutch/gear box. All though my gearing is absolutely flawless.

It's just that tapping noise!

Ive just got back from the garage, who have told me I need a whole new gearbox!

I wasn't really given a particular reason why, something to do with the diff?

So Im just wondering if anyone knows exactly what this is?

What is actually happening to my car whilst the gearbox is this way?

Is it safe to drive?

What will happen if it 'goes'.. Will my car just stop moving.. And what will the consequences of that be?
Is there a whining noise too thrust bearing could be worn still means removal of gearbox and a new clutch could try changing pr checking oil level in gearbox also

·
5,891 Posts
Could be input shaft or diff bearings if you cannot select gears or get drive now i would say that If your car has a DMF it or the clutch has failed or gearbox bearing has now failed and jammed selector forks .

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
To get to the bottom of the problem the gearbox will need to come off so the clutch can be examined, if it is ok then the gearbox itself will need to be looked at.
It might not be an expensive repair, or it could be a new 'box is needed.
But until it is looked at nobody will know.
In a worst case scenario the gearbox could lock up suddenly while travelling which might have disastrous consequences, more likely you will just be stranded at the roadside, but the problem won't go away until the car is looked at.

Roger.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts