Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always used the correct oil type in my gearbox but was told the other day by an ex Citroen mechanic ?? now tyre fitter ? its a waste of money ?

He says he always runs the red ATF Automatic Transmission Fluid
He said all gearboxes should use it ?

Whats the forum opinion ?

My gearbox change is really vague upon initial running till warm then it sorts itself out

Cold weather normally
as last weeks sunshine heatwave it was fine

I might look at the rods / adjustment on any cables ?

Is the 20DM14 type gearbox unique to the 1.4 HDI or can you bolt on an upgrade box. fearing the worst ?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Use the recommended oil. As advocated by the engineers who designed it, using the resources of PSA to engineer and produce it.
Mind you my mate said he met someone in a pub who knew someone who says use engine oil........

Roger.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I would not let your mechanic mate near a pedal bike never mind a car with his ideas of using incorrect oil in important and expensive machinery.
Absolutely.
I had a stiff gear change in both a Renault Meganne and a XM. I topped up the Renault with some gearbox oil I had kicking around and it improved BUT both improved still further when I put the correct oil in.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gearbox is playing up in this cold weather ... vague and stiff gear change till it gets a good run and warm
So planning on next week dropping the gearbox oil out and replacing it with fresh to see if it makes any difference and see whats floating about in the oil
Do these have magnets in the box ? or within drain plug ?

Due to the above comments I will just stick with EP 75w/80

·
6,095 Posts
They have a magnet in the box but is only accessible with a partial strip. Total BV or its replacement total gear 8 is the oem oil which most people recommend as some other aftermarket oils are wider grade and can cause stiff changes when cold

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Changed the oil ... and the box is totally different again ... the new oil was very thin compared to the gloop I took out .... no silver bits though

1 - 7 of 7 Posts