Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys
Hope you could help me figure out the problem with my 307 auto hatch - petrol 2004 model.
Just bought it 6 weeks ago and it was not well serviced, did a complete service (at least I think - oil & filter, transmission fluid, Air filter, assume there is no fuel filter, drained coolant, new rear brake pads, pulled out the catalytic convertor and cleaned due to anti-pollution fault, replaced spark plugs and coil).

Problem 1 - anti pollution fault still displays when started then goes off but engine warning light stays on.
P2 - as the engine warms up, gears start playing up - drags shifting from 2 to 3 and to 4. At times, gears don't select at all and been stuck at a traffic light with hazards on. Once stopped and waited, it will go again. Engine does not heat up - stays around 90-110 degrees or midway on dial, no smoke or other obvious signs.

Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Coolant sounds about right but could have air in system after coolant change. What engine is it? Have you tried all 3 driving modes of the box? According to Haynes there is a fuel filter alongside of the tank right hand side. You need to get the codes read to see the possible culprits of the codes. The gear selecting might mean not enough oil in box. According to Haynes the checking method is quite involved. Is your box a AL4?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I wouldn’t be taking any notice of Haynes manual when it comes to the AL4, there is a step by step procedure on how to change the ATF and in most cases and I stand by this as it’s quite controversial, you will need planet to complete the procedure, you will quite rightly need to get it on the computer as you say the brakes were worked on and incoherent signals from the wheel speed sensors will give you the symptoms you have along with not resetting ATF life counter, over or under filling amongst others.
Did these symptoms only account after the ATF change?
The anti pollution is generic and can mean absolutely anything,
I can say tho that gear slippage, not selecting, Sergeing, and snow and sport flashing is the box protecting itself and would point at something with the valve body most commonly the 2 control solenoid valves or the sequence valves which control gear changes, you will need to have the gear box ECU read which will point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anti Pollution, I had this on my 307cc on and off for the best part of the last 5 years. Garage changed a sensor in fuel line, it went out for a few days, came back. Other times couldn’t find a fault code, turned it off I assume by a machine, each time it come back on a few days later.
Last years MOT my engine light was on, I just let it go through as I was using a different garage. It failed, but they found something Lamba ? Fixed it and it’s been off for a whole year so far!!
I think I am right in saying some garages don’t have the right machines or software to fully reset faults once they have been “cleared”

·
Registered
284 Posts
Sounds like the anti pollution fault is the least of his worries with the drivability issues due to gearbox issues I would get this sorted first, but like mentioned anti pollution message is GENERIC and could mean anything he could have fixed issues and new ones could have started triggering anti pollution yes code readers are about as much use as a wet paper bag he needs to see live data and read the different systems ECU’s to determine the area of the fault.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
You can buy hand held readers now loaded with whatever make of cars you want/need. They use the manufacturers own systems and the one I have even has free updates using your computer so not all hand readers are useless. You also get live data etc with them.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yes i agree but a code reader does exactly what it says on the tin reads codes. From experience and it is only my opinion as that’s ultimately what we are doing here giving opinions and ideas as to the best way to diagnose faults and how to proceed is that you will not get anywhere reading the Haynes manual armed with a code reader.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Well I have. You have to be able and willing to use any and all means to fix cars. It is hard enough getting any info off the dealers as they want to steal your money by throwing parts at cars which generally never fix the defect.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback.
I bought an OBD reader and it comes up with 3 faults:
1. P0300 - apparent misfire, but don't feel that happening. I had the spark plugs and coil changed.
2. P0140 - Sensor no active??? No idea what this means, unless the oxygen sensor is faulty.
3. P0141 - Sensor Heater Circuit - again, no idea, will need to google these codes.

Ive cleared all faults yet, hasn't made a difference, faults show up again.
No matter will try all suggestions provided.
cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers, will look out for a Peugeot code readership or get it checked by a m approved garage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts