Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys new to the forum ive just bought a 2001 307 hdi the fuel gauge is always reading empty i bought a second hand unit from my local pug breaker i attempted to fit it put it into tank connected fuel lines and the electical connector and the fuel gauge worked after putting the plastic ring back on and tighting it up i left the car and came back an hour later turned key and the gauge stopped working again could anyone help me with any advice please

Cheers
Andy

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
sounds like you have a similar problem as jazz. i reckon it will be a damaged electrical/signal cable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi john wasnt sure if it was cos id got fuel on the connectors am gonna clean them up and have another go at it today also if the sender unit ment to push down on its self when put into the tank

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
might be worth cleaning them up. best practice is to use alcohol and an old toothbrush or some sort of brush.

im not sure on the mechanics of the fuel sender so im not sure if it supposed to be pushing on itself. im typically an electrical technician sorta person. :thumb:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats good to know im sure il need your help again lol theres afew bits that need doing but this is top of my list saves me having to fill up all time :thumb:

·
Registered
179 Posts
I just had a problem with my fuel sender leaking and the gauge reading under what was actually in the tank.

Curing the leak was as simple as replacing that big seal on the sender.

The sender setup needed recalibrating with Peugeot Planet though to fix the incorrect gauge reading. It is now fine and reads correctly

I had mine done at the dealer because of time constraints, but if you know anyone with the Peugeot software they may be able to check out things for you.

If you are not reading at all mind and it did initially, I would tend to think that a wire has become disconnected somewhere or the float has fallen off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the blue seal does it need to be between the sender unit and the black screw ring that holds it all together or does it need to be between the tank and sender unit i had to break the old ring off so couldnt see where it was before as i said it worked afew times before i put it all back together and stopped when re assembled and couldnt be arsed un doing it all :D

J

·
0 Posts
It's the same problem as me. Do you reckon there's anything I can do without replacing the sender etc.?

If you can't fix it, I just fill the tank, and wait til it reaches 400 miles then head for a fuel station and fill again.

round about £60 to fill the tank after reaching 400 miles.

This works from average 39.2 MPG and upwards :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ive just clocked 520 miles and when i connected sender it read quater of a tank and that was from a full tank if i manage to sort it jazz il drop you a line and let you know what it was and maybe it will help you with yours as i say im gonna crack on with it soon so fingers crossed il be able to sort it:thumb:

J

·
0 Posts
I must be running comfy on half a tank or so then :rolleyes:

Nice one mate cheers :thumb:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
ive just checked old and new unit and there completely different the lod one is a boshe and the new one is a vdo the electrical connectors are oppo way round and different size floats can anyone shed some lite on this for me also would the battery need to be disconnected to reset it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts