Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
about 3 weeks ago dar failed test on front wheel bearing so i changed it everything ok however for past week i have heard noise on front so i jacked car up and found the wheel had movement wheel bearing has gone again checked nut and this is tight what could be causing this

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
At first guess it was hammered in and not pressed. It must be fitting as no bearing will go in 3 weeks that I know of. Were yours good ones or economy type? Whichever hammering them in will cause indentations and flats to occur to the balls and tracks giving early failure.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
To fail again so soon it must have been hammered to virtual destruction. If a bearing must be hammered in never hit the inside track, only the outer one, this counts for refitting the hubs, never hammer them in as the impact goes straight to the balls and tracks. Incidently this movement could be due to a worn ball joint, have you checked that this might be the case and not the wheel bearing?

·
Registered
72 Posts
This could also happen if wrong bearing is used not thick enough. Or in many cases stub axle/flange is replaced with wrong one -too long shaft. ON fitment everything is fine then after driving for a while bearing opens up coursing a play. OR as others have said play in ball joint or track rod end.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi thanks for your replies it is defo the wheel bearing and yes i did use a hammer to put bearing in always have unlucky this time will get it pressed in when i do it again

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
No problem malla, cost me £10 a side if I remember rightly for pressing out old one and press in new one at local engineering firm. Just need a lift there as they get heavy to carry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts