Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 307sw 1.6 53 plate (fault seems to be only on the 1.6)

When I pull away I have always noticed as I pull away I get a second when the no power (flat spot). I have taken this back to peugeots who had it for 3 days and then came back to me and said its normal. I test drove 3 of theres cars I think it was there customers cars and yes it was the same. If I pul away fast its fine just on slow pull away. The thing is its getting worse and when Im pulling the caravan its realy bad. Has anyone had this problem or even cured this problem.

I have a few things todo and I hope to find the problem but if anyone could save me some time it would be great.

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
586 Posts
bigdavid said:
I have a 307sw 1.6 53 plate (fault seems to be only on the 1.6)

When I pull away I have always noticed as I pull away I get a second when the no power (flat spot). I have taken this back to peugeots who had it for 3 days and then came back to me and said its normal. I test drove 3 of theres cars I think it was there customers cars and yes it was the same. If I pul away fast its fine just on slow pull away. The thing is its getting worse and when Im pulling the caravan its realy bad. Has anyone had this problem or even cured this problem.

I have a few things todo and I hope to find the problem but if anyone could save me some time it would be great.

Thanks
Dave
Sometimes an ECU upgrade works

G

·
i noticed this as well, mainly because my old car's accellerator was cable driven whereas the 307's ar fly-by-wire, bit laggy sometimes!

Just adjust your driving style a little bit to accomadate this!

·
Registered
84 Posts
We have the hideous bag of [email protected] know as the 307 SW (1.6), and have the same problem.

When pulling away, the flat spot occurs about 2000 to 3000 rpm, and causes the engine to judder. Even hitting the accelerator hard, you still notice a drop of power around 2 to 3000 rpm. The problem seems to be worse this year than the last two. For our car though, it seems to occur in summer, that is, in winter** it doesn't seem to happen. Also running with 98E fuel helps.

We mentioned this to Peugeot at the last two services, and they said there was nothing wrong...

**Winter here, the temperatures range from -5'C to -30'C.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just checked the plugs. They seem to be OK, nice browny colour. I got the Haynes manual for the 307. It lists the plugs for the 1.6 as Bosch FR7ME. Our's has Peugeot plugs Part number 5960.57, which also have the Bosch number FR8SE. It might be because the climate here is different to the UK - can be hotter in summer (24hr daylight) and colder in winter (-20'C to -30'C). carsparkplugs.com says FR8SC+.

G

·
alloydog said:
When pulling away, the flat spot occurs about 2000 to 3000 rpm, and causes the engine to judder. Even hitting the accelerator hard,........

You are lucky... I seem to have an elastic band linking between the throttle pedal and the engine... with a flatspot between 1000 and 4500....

:D

David

·
Registered
27 Posts
Same problem with 407SW 1.6 diesel

Is yours petrol or diesel?

I've had this before on a non-Peugeot petrol engined car, but never with a diesel. My 407 SW does this when pulling away from stationary. It's OK for the first second, then once the clutch is fully engaged nothing happens as the accelerator's pressed further, then after a horrible delay the power comes through.

It only happens when pulling away at low RPM and expecting some linearity in the response from the accelerator, which most diesels, characteristically, deliver.

I'll have to change my driving style to accommodate this and get used to raising the RPM to overcome it, but it's quite unsettling and could be dangerous. I nearly had a car run into me when I pulled out of a junction and there was just nothing there when I expected it.

Is this common on Peugeot diesels or a characteristic of this particular engine?

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
Millivan said:
Is yours petrol or diesel?

I've had this before on a non-Peugeot petrol engined car, but never with a diesel. My 407 SW does this when pulling away from stationary. It's OK for the first second, then once the clutch is fully engaged nothing happens as the accelerator's pressed further, then after a horrible delay the power comes through.

It only happens when pulling away at low RPM and expecting some linearity in the response from the accelerator, which most diesels, characteristically, deliver.

I'll have to change my driving style to accommodate this and get used to raising the RPM to overcome it, but it's quite unsettling and could be dangerous. I nearly had a car run into me when I pulled out of a junction and there was just nothing there when I expected it.

Is this common on Peugeot diesels or a characteristic of this particular engine?

remap? this is my other 1.4hdi remapped to 102bhp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdLNUBr4qU0

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
Millivan said:
bettyswollocks, perhaps you'd like to enlighten us as to what 'mapping' and 'remapping' are.

Sounds intersting.
Fuel
All modern vehicles use an ECU (Engine Controll Unit) to control fueling. When the manufacturers write the program for fueling at full throttle they tend to program for best economy rather than for maximum power. We set the fuel ratio for best power at full throttle this allows us to modify the program at mid range throttle so that over all fuel consumption is improved.
Fuel ratio for best power 12.6:1
Fuel ratio for best economy 15.4:1

Ignition
Ignition (spark) timing is also controlled by the ECU this is also an area of adjustment that will release power from an engine. Years ago it was possible to adjust the distributor to adjust timing and replacing the internal centrifugal bob weight springs to help with advance curve, modern day engines no longer have distributors so the only way to optimize ignition advance is to remap the ECU to give a more advanced timing curve resulting in greater power and more responsive throttle.

Forced Induction (turbo/compressor)
Forced Induction is the process of using a mechanical system to force more air into an engine. This includes superchargers, turbochargers and other mechanical systems. Both superchargers and turbos use a compressor to force air into the engine, making it more dense (i.e. more oxygen). When fuel is added this creates a much larger explosion and more power from the engine. These mechanical compressors are controlled by the ECU, remapping the intake boost pressure gains as much as 40% more power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At7E3KrhGTg

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks bettyswollocks. Makes more sense now, but what's the connection between this and the video you posted earlier? I can see that speed rises but the RPM stops at 3,000. What's the connection between this apparent fault and remapping?

My main concern is whether the flat-spot I'm experiencing will be cured by remapping. Maybe I should start a separate thread to see if others have noticed the problem.

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
Millivan said:
Thanks bettyswollocks. Makes more sense now, but what's the connection between this and the video you posted earlier? I can see that speed rises but the RPM stops at 3,000. What's the connection between this apparent fault and remapping?

My main concern is whether the flat-spot I'm experiencing will be cured by remapping. Maybe I should start a separate thread to see if others have noticed the problem.
Sorry Millivan , should have told the whole story-
one of my 1.4hdi`s had a flat spot and felt if turbo wasn`t kicking in until nearly 3000 rpm, we tried the turbo it was fine , thought air flow(mass) meter it was fine , erg valve again fine , then we thought blocked cat so we decated it no improvement,
went to the mapper , big improvement ,
now this guy knows his stuff and after mapping it said he could not see why the car was not responding earlier,
point being sometimes you can`t explain why the car behaves it does, all i know i have had no problems since,that doesn`t mean it will cure yours just food for thought!!!!

p.s the video below 3000rpm was because i was on a main road and didn`t want to be caught racing down the road , it just shows that there are no flat spots,
heres one i posted for BESTGEAR because he has the same engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5mOTZUI5Fw

G

·
Could even be a faulty pedal position sensor?

Or it might be on its way out?

Too many things could be the cause of problems these days, really annoying isnt it! :mad:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm hoping it's not what Stubbo's suggesting!! It's only done 45,000 miles and had one careful lady owner (..no, seriously) and I just don't think it can be a pedal sensor - just the feel of it - it's exactly like I've experienced in a petrol engined car which where the carburettor wasn't right.

bettyswollocks didn't say who the 'this guy knows his stuff' guy is, but after posting I want to the ECU-RS site and spoke to somebody about their remapping. It sounds very impressive (although not cheap). He said the service is not only specific to the car's individual engine, but can also be tailored to address specific issues such as the one I described. Apparently they offer a money back guarantee that nobody's ever taken them up on, so it's a beginning to look like a no-brainer when the extra economy is taken into account. Are we talking about the same person/people? Do you have a name I should contact?

I didn't even know the engine had a turbo (no 'T' in the name). I guess they're commonplace these days (now I'm showing my age :eek:). Would it be worth getting the engine looked at by a good garage (main dealer?) first?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well bettyswollocks, I tried contacting Torquetronix via the web form contact page, but never got a reply. Not a good first impression as this isn't down to any individual franchisee - it's their head office!

I'm tempted to try another re-mapper. Why do you recommend Torquetronix so strongly?

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
Only because i have had 2 cars done and there has been no problems, why not go to where all the young boy racers hang out in your area and see if any of them can recommend someone (pick the fellas in the nice cars not the bangers), or come over here and i`ll take you to my guy.:thumb:

·
Registered
84 Posts
I know this thread is old, but I've been meaning to post an update for quite a while...

The loss of power/uneven running at low speeds, on our 2002 1.6l 307 SW, has completely gone. The only thing that has changed is that the petrol switched to 95E10 - that's the 10% ethanol stuff. The engine stopped the dodgy running about the same time the petrol changed. It has been running smooth ever since. Coincidence maybe? But I'm not complaining.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts