Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if this sounds like a car battery problem or something else?

My Peugeot 307's battery went dead as I had not used the car in 2 months and I think I left the overhead reading light on, I could not start the engine, when I turned the key to start it nothing could be heard but a click sound. But I was able to lock it using the central locking button on the key fob.

I then tried a cigarette lighter point jumpstarter to see could I get it started which did not work. Then I found that the central locking would not seem to work anymore either, I would have to leave it for a few mins and try again (all with key fob) and got it to work so at least the car was locked.

I tried jump starting it but that didn't work as I think i did not get a good enough contact as it was very hard to get the clips on the other car I was jumpstarting from. I reved the other car, turned its engine off and then tried to start my car.

Then I bought a 12 amp mains connected auto recharger and charged the battery for 3 hours on fast charge with car connections removed.
When I reconnected the battery there were some sparks when connecting positive terminal and when it was connected everything in car seemed to turn on, and the cental locking opened all the doors.
Then when I tried to start the car all went dead. And all the doors were open. Nothing turned on, silence.

Then I removed the battery altogether and charged it for 24 hours on a trickle charge with the mains connected battery charger, then re-installed the battery noting that this time there seemed to be no sparks when connecting the positive terminal. Also nothing turned on. When I turned key ignition I heard a click sound but nothing else, when I turned ignition full to start the car and nothing happened.
The overhead reading light is the only thing that works.

Seems to me the battery is still almost dead?
Grateful for any thoughts.

Peugeot 307 Petrol 1400cc

S

·
0 Posts
Make sure when replacing the battery you perform the correct BSI wakeup routine and see if the car will operate then

If you cant put the windows down cos of electric, get someone else to sit in back seat and do the lights part/starting car!

Note: you might not hear a bong when you turn light on, mine doesnt do it!

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5228

If that doesnt work i'd try a known good battery, again following the BSI wakeup precedure :thumb:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was the battery, changed it and did the procedure like you said and its all working.
Thanks a million!
:thumb:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts