Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
My 2006 307 is fitted with an electric power steering pump.
The pump is constantly whining, even when i don't turn the steering wheel.
It starts whining as soon as i turn the engine.
If i turn the steering, the whining noise gets a little bit louder.
The steering itself works perfect, but this whining noise is starting to annoy me, and i want to know if any of you guys have the same problem?
The 307 is 55 plate, facelift.

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was thinking of changing the pump with another used one but it seems silly since many others have the same issue, I could end up with the same problem.

Not sure if there is a fix to this
I was thinking the same
Recently, the whine is louder, due to low fluide, then the noise actually toned down when i turn, but if i don't turn , it stays constant, i think this could be the same pump as the MNini cooper ones, which has the same whining noise

·
11,711 Posts
Mine does this, but only intermittently. It did it a few weeks ago at the same time that the temperature display was going all over the place. Its more of a "whoo"ing sound with mine, only when turning, and louder if going slow or not moving.

Then it stopped until yesterday afternoon when it did it again, whining on turning and a very heavy feel to the steering. Turned off the car, left it for a while and it was fine again.

So I think with me its a power issue, possibly aggravated by the damp weather. So going to do some investigation at the weekend.

There is a known issue mentioned on Autodata that you have to overfill the power steering reservoir.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Mine does this, but only intermittently. It did it a few weeks ago at the same time that the temperature display was going all over the place. Its more of a "whoo"ing sound with mine, only when turning, and louder if going slow or not moving.

Then it stopped until yesterday afternoon when it did it again, whining on turning and a very heavy feel to the steering. Turned off the car, left it for a while and it was fine again.

So I think with me its a power issue, possibly aggravated by the damp weather. So going to do some investigation at the weekend.

There is a known issue mentioned on Autodata that you have to overfill the power steering reservoir.
Mine did this before it died. It got heavy and then when the engine was switched off and restarted it would be fine. Then it become more and more of a regular occurance before it died. I checked and cleaned all the wiring going to the pump, but ultimately I ended up having to get a new pump which wasn't cheap:(

My local dealer told me it was a fairly common fault that had been finally sorted with the introduction of the 308 and the new pump should be reliable, the new pump only wines on full lock.

BTW, what is recommeded as a suitable fluid now that Total seemed to have adjusted their product line? I could find the stuff recommeded in the Haynes mannual anywhere.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all
My 2006 307 is fitted with an electric power steering pump.
The pump is constantly whining, even when i don't turn the steering wheel.
It starts whining as soon as i turn the engine.
If i turn the steering, the whining noise gets a little bit louder.
The steering itself works perfect, but this whining noise is starting to annoy me, and i want to know if any of you guys have the same problem?
The 307 is 55 plate, facelift.

Thanks
Hi so i have a 307 sw and my electric power steering motor also started whining just as you described in your post. Did you ever find any solution to yours? I'm pretty desperate.:confused::confused:

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Only time either of my 307's had a whine from the power steering was after replacing the fluid and it needed bleeding to remove the air pockets. Once It had been bled you could only hear a very slight whine if you held it at full lock for any length of time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Power steering Whine

Only time either of my 307's had a whine from the power steering was after replacing the fluid and it needed bleeding to remove the air pockets. Once It had been bled you could only hear a very slight whine if you held it at full lock for any length of time.
Any help on how to bleed air from the system?

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
The way I do it.

Top up the fluid reservoir and leave the cap off
Engine running turn the steering to full lock (any side) and hold for a few seconds.
Turn steering to full opposite lock & hold for a few seconds
Repeat the previous two steps a few times
Check fluid reservoir and top up if required.
If you had to top up repeat the lock to lock stages a few more times.

Keep repeating until topping up is no longer required.

Some of the steps may not be in the official instructions but experience and a very good mechanic I knew tells me this is the best and most effective way of bleeding the power steering.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Oof... I was getting massively worried about mine. It whines constantly. It's quite annoying!

If i ever need to replace it, i'll go broke: 350 euros here! Mind you, i only have about 80 a month to spare (sucks to live in Brazil)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine has been whining on full lock. Looks like i might have a little bit of air trapped inside. I will keep you posted on the outcome. I will bleed it tomorrow hoping that it will not die soon. There are very few shops selling Peugeot parts in Seychelles.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts