Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

this seems to be a common occurrence, I seem to be having a similar but slightly different problem.

my car wont start, it requires a jump start normally. Once I have jump started i have very little problem in restarting the car throughout the day, until the next morning when lo and behold I need to jump start my car again! I assume the starter motor will need replacing.

Reading around I am wondering if its a case of the glow plugs needing replacing...

can anyone shed any light on this?

J

·
0 Posts
Could just be a dead battery. Or glow plugs, or starter.

Does it start quite powerful when jump leads are attached? If so its just battery

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi Everyone

this seems to be a common occurrence, I seem to be having a similar but slightly different problem.

my car wont start, it requires a jump start normally. Once I have jump started i have very little problem in restarting the car throughout the day, until the next morning when lo and behold I need to jump start my car again! I assume the starter motor will need replacing.

Reading around I am wondering if its a case of the glow plugs needing replacing...

can anyone shed any light on this?
I had the same problem after the icy winter, I have an emergency charger that you plug into the cigarette lighter port and after 12 mins your battery is recharged enough to start your car.

As long as there wasn't to big a gap between the last time I started the car and the next time I tried it would start no problem.
If the car was left overnight the battery would be flat again the next morning.

I replaced the battery and have had no problems since.

Can someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe that a battery should be replaced every 5 years minimum.

A new battery costs roughly €90.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
thats correct, they say the lifespan of a typical battery is 4-5 years. depending on the charge system of the car, this will life span can be improved by using certain batteries. i know for a fact fords have a smart charge system, and does not like lead acid batteries but prefer silver calcium batteries. so i would check to see what the manufacturer recommends.

price is about right, you can get cheaper, but i think the saying "what pay for is what you get" may ring true. i just recently paid £115 for a brand new heavy duty bosch silver calcium battery.

edit: btt, it does sound like your suffering from battery issues. now this can be a dying cell or cells...you may also have a constant drain on your battery...try disconnecting the battery for the night, and see if it starts next morning. if it does your battery is holding charge ok, if not...well you can decide :lol:

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
i wonder if it the same as mine...dont jump start as it "can" pull 18 Volts altogether and fry expensive modules???

J

·
0 Posts
Hi! we have met before!

Is it because the variance in power disables the passenger airbag and so on?

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
nah, its coz if you jump start these, because of the way the charging system may work...it can pull 18volts, and 18v going through something that is designed for 12-14v is no good...and could be very expensive to replace these parts...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Instead of creating a stable load on a battery you INDUCE a voltage in the circuit...

Think of it this way, the power in watts that you use is voltage multiplied by amps.

Your car tries to start a number of circuits at the same time.
So it pulls power through the circuit. (like an induction plate on a cooker)

when you connect 2 batteries in parallel you have the same voltage (12 volt)

When you connect a battery in parallel with an alternator that's already running you change the properties and can cause an over voltage.

The same happens if you connect 2 batteries in parallel incorrectly on a car when 1 battery is damaged.

·
Registered
176 Posts
If you have already replaced the battery recently then remove the positive lead and the negative lead.

Check them for oxidization.

If there's no oxide present and the battery checks out (have someone do a cell integrity test) then possibly something is (1) not switching off or (2) you have a dodgy alternator (not likely as you would notice it while driving)

D

·
0 Posts
Peugeot have never told us not to jump start any car. I have cars on powerpacks and battery chargers every day of the week for downloading and never a problem.

J

·
0 Posts
I doubt it would be the glow plugs that would need replacing - they hardly ever come on in these modern diesel engines. They are only used to control emmisions, and if the temp is extremely cold. My 407 is only running on 3 glow plugs, and you wouldn't know the difference - at over £200 to replace all four, even Peugeot have advised it isn't worthwhile at the minute.

D

·
0 Posts
I doubt it would be the glow plugs that would need replacing - they hardly ever come on in these modern diesel engines. They are only used to control emmisions, and if the temp is extremely cold. My 407 is only running on 3 glow plugs, and you wouldn't know the difference - at over £200 to replace all four, even Peugeot have advised it isn't worthwhile at the minute.
On your 407, they come on for at least five minutes when cold every time you start.
If one of your heater plugs are gone the car will not do a regeneration. Trust me you will have particle filter issues!

J

·
0 Posts
On your 407, they come on for at least five minutes when cold every time you start.
If one of your heater plugs are gone the car will not do a regeneration. Trust me you will have particle filter issues!
I've had the car since May'10, covered 12k miles and have never had any particulate filter problems. I know for sure that the regen is happening, as every 250-300 miles I feel the engine tone change, oil temp rise slightly, heated mirrors and screen come on, and the engine runs rougher when driving at approx 2000rpm - all this for 3-4 mins and then normal again. Its been into Peugeot with other running problems, and they've had it hooked up, and checked that the regen is performing as expected.... so it would seem that it can run on just 3 glowplugs :thumb:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts