Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been getting a warning message on the dashboard for about two weeks now, "Oil pressure insufficient".
Does not happen when the engine is cold, only appears after the engine has warmed up - about 10-15 mins of driving, after that it will not go away.
Took it into a garage who have done an oil change and changed the oil filter but the warning message still appears.
The garage will do a pressure test tomorrow to see whether it is actually low pressure or just a faulty pressure sensor.

The garage told me that if it is the oil pump which is broken, then it is not worth replacing as it would cost more than the car is worth.
But I've read that these oil pumps are quite robust, and I would have thought that if the oil pump was broken then the warning message would appear instantly rather than after the engine has had a chance to warm up.

Any ideas what else it could be, and how expensive is it to replace an oil pump if that turns out to be the problem?

Car has done 155k miles and it is a 2005. Engine is 1.4L diesel.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I'm unimpressed that the garage didn't check the oil pressure or simply replace the sender as the first job given your symptoms.
If the oil pump is worn the light should come on very quickly (within a minute of a cold start) if you are using good quality oil.
My money would be on a faulty sender, I'm assuming you have been changing the oil at appropriate intervals?.

Roger.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice.
Yes, have been changing oil every 6k miles.
I agree that they should have checked the pressure first off, but at least they will do it tomorrow.
Hopefully it will not be the pump as it takes a while for the error to appear.

The garage says they won't take on the responsibility of replacing the pump if it is worn, as they said it is too difficult to do with my make and model to be worth it.
After a brief read on the internet I feel like I could be capable of replacing it myself, if in the worst case it comes to that. What would a new pump cost?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good news, the garage checked the oil pressure and it is fine.
They then plugged the ecu into diagnostics and it says that the oil temperature sensor is giving a faulty reading.
This would make sense as it explains why the error only appears after the engine is up to temperature.
I don't know this for sure so I'll need someone else to verify, but I assume that at different temperatures you will get a different oil pressure so the ecu needs to combine a reading of both pressure and temperature before it can determine whether the pressure is low or normal - explaining why a faulty temperature sensor can give an insufficient pressure error.

They have ordered a new oil temp sensor which should come tomorrow. They said it might be a bit tricky to replace as it's round the back of the engine but it should be fixed by the end of tomorrow. I'm very happy that it's not the pump.

One question - is the oil temperature sensor the same sensor that's used to display the engine temperature on the dashboard? or are they different sensors? Because whilst I've had this problem the engine temperature on the dashboard has been normal - between about 75-85c. If they were different sensors then that would explain it.

·
Registered
596 Posts
They then plugged the ecu into diagnostics and it says that the oil temperature sensor is giving a faulty reading.
This would make sense as it explains why the error only appears after the engine is up to temperature.
I don't know this for sure so I'll need someone else to verify, but I assume that at different temperatures you will get a different oil pressure so the ecu needs to combine a reading of both pressure and temperature before it can determine whether the pressure is low or normal - explaining why a faulty temperature sensor can give an insufficient pressure error.

They have ordered a new oil temp sensor which should come tomorrow. They said it might be a bit tricky to replace as it's round the back of the engine but it should be fixed by the end of tomorrow. I'm very happy that it's not the pump.

One question - is the oil temperature sensor the same sensor that's used to display the engine temperature on the dashboard? or are they different sensors? Because whilst I've had this problem the engine temperature on the dashboard has been normal - between about 75-85c. If they were different sensors then that would explain it.
I don't think that the oil temperature increase will produce a pressure increase, being oilly it should boil at pretty high temperatures (which we hope it doesn't reach, as it isn't prepared to, and by then the engine would be fried). You need steam to have a pressure increase.. and it would be pretty difficult with oil.

·
Registered
96 Posts
is the oil temperature sensor the same sensor that's used to display the engine temperature on the dashboard?
No

But in the event of an 'oil over temperature' fault (for want of a better word) being detected, as there is not a dedicated waning for this, its fudged by sticking it with the oil pressure lamp

So the low oil pressure warning doesn't mean low oil pressure... it means hey up theres a problem somewhere with the oil. :eek:

·
11,711 Posts
It reminds me of the faulty water temperature sensor that plagues the 307.

Starts off cold, needle moves gently up as normal. Then when it hits a certain temperature, flies right to the far right (followed by all the bleeps and warnings), then a few seconds later drops back to the right temperature again.

·
Registered
596 Posts
It reminds me of the faulty water temperature sensor that plagues the 307.

Starts off cold, needle moves gently up as normal. Then when it hits a certain temperature, flies right to the far right (followed by all the bleeps and warnings), then a few seconds later drops back to the right temperature again.
Wow, hang on there! Tell me more about it! Mine does that now and then!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So the latest news is that they replaced the oil temperature sensor and the problem still remains.

It is confusing because on the diagnostics software that plugs into the ECU it says "Oil temperature sensor incorrect reading value", and on the panel in the car where the radio is it says "Insufficient oil pressure", it's not just showing the oil warning light, it is actually displaying the insufficient pressure message in text as well.

So the ECU and the radio panel are displaying different messages - one points to temperature and one points to pressure.

They have not tried replacing the oil pressure sensor which is the first thing they will do tomorrow. I'm surprised really that they didn't think of replacing this until I told them today. It seems an obvious thing to do, but they were going on the message from the diagnostics software and hadn't read the message that was on the radio panel.

If the oil pressure sensor is replaced and it still has the error message then they say it can only be the ECU playing up as I do actually have sufficient oil pressure as measured by an oil pressure tester.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Modern oils and engines do a fine job of maintaining consistent oil pressure from a sub zero cold start to a thrash down an autobahn on a hot day.
Use the oil recommended for your engine, don't try to save a couple of pounds by buying cheap oil at a supermarket, change it at the required intervals, and you have gone a long way to getting a long reliable life from your engine.

Roger.

·
11,711 Posts
If the oil pressure sensor is replaced and it still has the error message then they say it can only be the ECU playing up as I do actually have sufficient oil pressure as measured by an oil pressure tester.
But what about the wiring? Has that been fully tested by an auto electrician?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They have now replaced the oil pressure sensor and it is still showing the problem. They've said that the only thing left it could be is faulty electronics.
They've done a basic electronics test - eg. checked for broken wires - simple stuff, but they say that they don't have the capability to do a more advanced electronics test and they would need to call someone more experienced in.

It has also started showing an ABS braking error, so I'm not sure if that's a real problem or the ECU is just going to pot.

I've said that I will take the car back like it is and pay them for the diagnostics and parts that they've done so far, then I will think about my options and possibly take it to a more experienced garage.
Does anyone else have any ideas or advice?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts