Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys i have a 307 05 plate 2.0

on doing the clutch replacement the drivers side driveshaft bearing was seized in the bracket so took bracket of and found out that the driveshaft came out so far but on the driverside dif there was a cup thing attached to the dif with 3 bolts took that of and out came the drive shaft done clutch bolted all box back on engine. on doing the drivers side shaft it went in no problem but the cup would not go on on removing the driveshaft again where the cup resesses into the was a round bit of blacvk metal there i was like holly molly so with great patience i managed to get the cup back in the resses pushing black circular bit of metal back in to the dif now i cant get the shafts to go all the way in on both side there is about 2mm at pass/side and driver side. i really need a tech on this one please im so stuck and worried it cant be put right without getting secondhand box HEEEEELP PLZ.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
once the driveshaft is in in the bearing it should be in by the correct amount make sure its flush may need a tap with a rubber mallet to get it to go

the bolts if there the same as a diesel are half moon things you twist them until they clear the driveshaft. you should be able to see them

·
Registered
3 Posts
Go buy a Haynes 4147 , the pictures are all in there and for the kind of money you can get them for from ebay has to be a bargain .in comparison to buying even a second hand gearbox .
The 307 has been designed for the good of the professional mechanics why else put the air filter underneath the windscreen wiper tray , is not for your convenience , surely you don't think that . Why else would they put the starter motor at the back of the engine , so it is completely in accessible to anyone but a trained mechanic and a Garage Lift .
Patience and it will all be revealed , patience and you will succeed , this is the price you have to pay if you love your 307 .
Peugeot don't want YOU in the engine bay .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh ! Mine is a 307 Hdi 1.6 model . I also have the 406 2.1TD . Best car I have ever owned in my entire life !It still produces way over 58 MPG. S reg . estate . Great tow car too.
I would be interested to know if anyone has anything good to say about the DMF . My son and I decided on the 307 1.6 hdi for the insurance saving , against the 2L .

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
The 307 has been designed for the good of the professional mechanics why else put the air filter underneath the windscreen wiper tray , is not for your convenience , surely you don't think that . Why else would they put the starter motor at the back of the engine , so it is completely in accessible to anyone but a trained mechanic and a Garage Lift .

Peugeot don't want YOU in the engine bay .
The 307, as almost any mainstream car on the market, is designed to be built in the most cost effective way. That it is difficult to work on is too bad. Professional mechanics take longer to to work on these cars than earlier, simpler designs too.

Makers don't want you working on their cars, they want you to take the car to the dealers instead. But after a few years they will go to independent garages or be owned by those who do the work themselves. The makers don't care that diy mechanics struggle to work on inaccessible components, they want you to buy a new car instead.

Roger.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for strengthening my argument

New Buyers, please note the confirmation is that mecahnics at the garage also take longer to fix the car .
Mechanics take longer , so the economy of the design is to pay for the extra time you are going to pay the mechanics to fix your car . Save money on your fuel so you can pay it to the garage for longer servicing .
Yes ! Of course ! You as the consumer I am sure are happy about that !
When they were selling you the car did they emphasize that ?

My 307 by the way ,is going back on the market , I am sick and tired of over coming one obstacle to find another in my path .
I will keep my 406 and Peugeot and I will never meet in minds again ,
really " strength to strength " I don.t think so !
Come on Tesla get it sorted . Soon !

·
Registered
14,288 Posts
Your problem is with ALL modern cars not just peugeot they are all designed for ease of initial assembly but they are NOT designed deliberately to be hard to fix that's just the way it ends up so avoid peugeot if you want but you will just buy another brand with different problem areas that's all you will change :sweat_smile:

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
New Buyers, please note the confirmation is that mecahnics at the garage also take longer to fix the car .
Mechanics take longer , so the economy of the design is to pay for the extra time you are going to pay the mechanics to fix your car . Save money on your fuel so you can pay it to the garage for longer servicing .
Yes ! Of course ! You as the consumer I am sure are happy about that !
When they were selling you the car did they emphasize that ?

My 307 by the way ,is going back on the market , I am sick and tired of over coming one obstacle to find another in my path .
I will keep my 406 and Peugeot and I will never meet in minds again ,
really " strength to strength " I don.t think so !
Come on Tesla get it sorted . Soon !
You're logic is so severely flawed it is quite funny to read.

Cars are built the way they are because of legislation and the demands of the paying customer. So many people want small cars that are easier to park in ever more crowded towns and cities. They want them lighter and more fuel efficient due to the theft that is the fuel tax which is increased virtually every budget. Then take into account the rash of regulations imposed by the dictatorship in brussels and you get the modern car.

The manufacturers regardless of marque have responded to all these challenges and have designed the car in a way that meets all these demands. They are NOT built to make servicing more difficult and more expensive. They are designed to make it possible for a robotic plant to assemble the components in such a way as to make the finished vehicle affordable.

Then there's your last statement about the tesla. If you think that a tesla will be easy to work on then you must think it will be exactly like one of those wired remote controlled cars. Believe me it won't. It will be full of technology that only a fully trained technician with the correct software will be able to work on. The drive motors will be nigh on impossible for a lot of people to replace let alone repair let alone source.

Working on a tesla will make working on a 307 seem like a walk in the park.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wow, you guys got me worried for a second there. :eek:

I though it was cool that the accessories belt and the cam timing belts are so easily accessible on the 1.6 16v petrol. I did get a bit nervous that i couldn't see the spark plugs, but hey, i'm coming from a Zetec Fiesta, so hidden spark plugs ain't my worst nightmare.

I went to mechanic's school for a year to be able to do most of the servicing myself, so i appreciate an easy-to-work-on car :thumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts