Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

wondering if anyone can help!!!!

Just bought a 2001 3 door 307 for the wife but the passenger door will not lock. There is a piece of plastic missing from beside the door handle on the outside, is this the problem?????

The door has not been tampered with in anyway as i took the door card off to check for loose wiring and the insulation sheet was still held on with factory sealer.

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am not sure what piece of plastic is missing from beside the door handle. Is this a piece of trim, or does it form some part of the door mechanism? Does the door open and close okay from both the inside and outside? Can you lock the door manually?

Assuming that the door is opening and closing properly and the door handles are working fine, the next step is to work out if it is the lock, solenoid or vehicle electrics.

If you stand next to the door and operate the central locking can you hear the door attempt to lock? If so, it is the door locking mechanism. These are pretty easy to change, just annoyingly fiddly.

If you are unable to hear the locking noise, or can not distinguish it from the rest of the lock, you are probably going to have to take apart the door and visually inspect the locking mechanism, solenoid and wiring.

Here the general rule is to try and lock / unlock the door while the locking mechinism is in full view. You will probably need to use a screw driver to latch the locking mechanism as would be the case if the door was closed and the locking mechanism had been latched by the door striker.

If you can see the solenoid try to operate, it is most likely that the locking mechanism needs a little lubricant, or replacement. If you can not see the solenoid trying to operate, it is either the solenoid or vehicle electrics.

I am going to make the huge assumption that the locking is done with discrete wiring and not over a CAN bus. Disconnect the wiring to the solenoid and connect up a voltmeter to the terminals that activate the solenoid. The wiring diagram in a Haynes manual should help you here. (Haynes manuals are sometimes good for something). Try and lock / unlock the car. The Voltmeter *should* give you some volts (approximatly 12) for a second or so.

If you see the volts, then it would appear that the solenoid is faulty. If you don't see the volts, it is time to start tracing the wiring back to the central locking controller.

Given the age of the car, I would put my money on the locking mechanism requiring lots of lubrication, or replacement. That is, assuming that the piece of plastic that is missing is just trim!

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
307 central locking

Hi thanks for the reply, i assume that the little piece of plastic is trim which is missing from the outer door handle, The door opens fine both inside and out, the deadlock button wont lock it either, i can hear the relay working in the glove box but no hint of power reaching the door. There seems to be no way of locking the door manually which is a pain because i have a newborn baby so i need to totally empty the car every night and park it against a wall lol.

Ill give what you have said a try and let you know if it has worked.

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.