Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've hit 101k miles in my 307 and was looking at getting the cam belt done and out of the way in the next month or so. (If I don't sort it now, it'll probably be sometime after Xmas... and I think that's pushing it? I do about 700 miles a month.)

It's a 55 reg, 307 S HDi - 1560cc.

I've been quoted 379 for the work all in (which includes full cam belt kit, water pump, aux belt & anti freeze).

Is that about right? Or - can anyone recommend a good deal in Wirral - pref Birkenhead/Wallasey area.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
the 1.6 hdi im sure is 150k for a change. i changed mine at 104 and it was fine

the cam belt change on a 1.6 is pretty easy so is a bit pricey. about 250 labour is ott

·
Registered
453 Posts
A bit pricey to me too - try and find a small independent garage to do it and you might try buying items yourself, go to eurocarparts to check out prices

·
11,731 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the 1.6 hdi im sure is 150k for a change. i changed mine at 104 and it was fine
I've seen 140k-160k on a few different places... but also seen 100k-110k as well in just as many.

A bit pricey to me too - try and find a small independent garage to do it and you might try buying items yourself, go to eurocarparts to check out prices
Thought about getting the parts myself but wouldn't want to order the wrong bits & be out of pocket...

I can recommend someone far cheaper. He did my 306 last year and is based in Upton. I'll PM you his details.

Other than him, try Chris Gilly on Oxton Road or Tony at Benza if you want a quality Peugeot independent.
Cheers for the PM.

I've tried Benza (top result on Google when I searched earlier in the year) but was hoping to get cheaper than his quote. I've spoken to Tony before about another issue I'm having (fan running after engine switch off, sounds like a fan control module issue but haven't had it checked yet)... wonder if I could get a 2 for 1 special! :lol:

·
Registered
647 Posts
You can buy the Gates kits for around £100. I paid £160 for an independent to do the work (labour rates are highish in Essex). It's 150k on these engines and mine was done at about 145k.

·
11,731 Posts
I've spoken to Tony before about another issue I'm having (fan running after engine switch off, sounds like a fan control module issue but haven't had it checked yet)... wonder if I could get a 2 for 1 special! :lol:
Its probably dirty contacts on the relay under the bonnet slam panel / front grille (assuming you don't have a 110 diesel and its regenerating). I've fixed a few 307s round here by cleaning the contacts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can buy the Gates kits for around £100. I paid £160 for an independent to do the work (labour rates are highish in Essex). It's 150k on these engines and mine was done at about 145k.
Tempted to leave it until next year (don't really have the spare cash to get it done)... and sounds like it should be OK for a few years at least.

Its probably dirty contacts on the relay under the bonnet slam panel / front grille (assuming you don't have a 110 diesel and its regenerating). I've fixed a few 307s round here by cleaning the contacts.
or could be a duff regen
I believe its a 90. When I looked into the problem originally, it didn't sound like a regen issue... more like a short. When I connect the battery, fans kick in almost straight away and then stop when I put the key in the ignition (most of time) or if not, when I turn the ignition on. If the battery is left on, the fans will run until the battery is flat (with maybe 1 minute break every so often).

Have read that it could be the fan control module that's faulty and when the engine is switched off and the FCM stops receiving a signal from the ECU, it gets confused and turns on the fans.

Spoke to Benza a while ago who said to bring it in for diagnostic... before I do that, are the contacts easily accessible?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts