Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently looking for something cheaper to run than our current station car - saab 9-5 2.3lpt estate, I'm looking for something less than £1000 and cheap to run, both in terms of fuel and running costs.

I had a 1.4 206 before the saab that was moved on because of head gasket failure and I really liked it. It was good on fuel (45mpg) comfy and cheap to run.

I've always liked the look of the 307 and while the focus is a better drivers car I just want something cheap to buy, comfortable and newer for less money.

Preference is possibly towards the estate as I like the look of the the glass roof, I'd like auto too but these seem rare, I don't care if it's petrol or diesel, however I would like to get 40mpg or as close too as possible, the saab is a great wafter but is 5mtrs long with the towbar and 23 mpg it's not exactly cheap to run.

Would people avoid the 307 or are they better than the internet says, which model is best, what are the more common faults ? I'm happy with diesel or petrol, a friend has a 306 hdi and it's been pretty much trouble free in 2 years and 35k.

Thanks

·
Registered
14,541 Posts
Petrol engines should not be dismissed either though as sometimes for shorter journeys there is not much in it MPG wise.

I would avoid the 1.6 hdi if you do mainly short journeys if you do regular A road/motorway runs the it would be ok but short local journeys are not good for that engine.

The cars overall are not that bad heater fan problems are common but not that hard to fix I would say its going to be similar to the 206 in terms of reliability and build quality

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Choices are the 1.6 petrol, 2.0 diesel or if I thought I could get reasonable mileage out of it the 2.0 petrol. I looked after a fleet of ford focus's with the 1.6 engine and I vowed I would never own a car with that engine.

I do think the mpg would be comparable between the petrol and 2.0hdi on our relatively short trips of around 14 miles each way, straight on the a1 and then some urban work with traffic thrown in. Dmf in the hdi would be a concern but does the 90ps version have one ?

Everyone seems to slate the 307 but are they really that bad ? Other choices are the Fabia estate and the xsara Picasso with the Fabia being more expensive. Ideally I'd like to spend no more than £700 and I would like to think I'd get a better 307 for that money.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have the 307sw. I think it's well built. Mines a 2002 I got it for £800 with 145k on the clock. Replaced the rear bumper. It's now off the road as it has a steering fault. But while it's off the road I'm going it a suspension and steering overhaul also mg with new speakers and giving it a double din stereo.

Adam,

Peugeot 307sw 2002 1.6 petrol

·
Registered
66 Posts
Petrol engines should not be dismissed either though as sometimes for shorter journeys there is not much in it MPG wise.

I would avoid the 1.6 hdi if you do mainly short journeys if you do regular A road/motorway runs the it would be ok but short local journeys are not good for that engine.
Why don't the 1.6hdi's like town work? Just got a 307sw 1.6hdi from a neighbour I will do quite a fair few miles a day but mainly around town. haven't driven it yet as no tax but looks quite nice spec and finish inside (se model) seems a slightly better finish than my fiat but time will tell on reliability I will squirrel the punto away I think just incase ;-))

·
Registered
160 Posts
Why don't the 1.6hdi's like town work? Just got a 307sw 1.6hdi from a neighbour I will do quite a fair few miles a day but mainly around town. haven't driven it yet as no tax but looks quite nice spec and finish inside (se model) seems a slightly better finish than my fiat but time will tell on reliability I will squirrel the punto away I think just incase ;-))
Diesels with DPF may give you some problems if only used for short trips/slow drives.

As a general rule I would never buy a 10+ year old car with a DPF/diesel UNLESS it has a perfect service record or this part has been replaced and/or the eolys fluid has been replaced.

For the 1.6 HDI look for perfect oil change history.

The 307 seems to be a pretty reliable car, and there is nothing really wrong with the whole particle filter business, as long as its been properly maintained. High mileage diesels can get turbo problems, mainly if owned has been sloppy with oil changes and for newer models oil quality.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
the 2.0 hdi 90 is a solid bet. no dmf or dpf. mines a 110bhp and feels alot easier to drive then my missus 90bhp

trouble is hers never breaks down lol

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
To be honest, I would want to know that the oil had been changed at least as often as the manufactures specification, preferably more often. It's not just the Peugeot 1.6HDi that has turbo issues with a poor oil change regime. When I was researching buying a Renault Laguna, the web was full of horror stories regarding blown turbos causing engine and intercooler damage resulting in huge repair bills. This can be avoided by regular oil changes using the correct grade oil. It would take a lot of extra oil changes to match the cost of a turbo replacement, with or without engine / intercooler repairs.

·
Registered
287 Posts
i have the 90bhp 307 since 3 months ago and done 5000 miles so far its been reliable.

though i did have to get wheel aligment done plus track rods and tie rods (something like that) one of the rear calipers replaced under warrenty and then recently the discs replaced and caliper on other side replaced.

apparently the calipers like to stick and also the handrake cables can get stuck particularly in winter in freezing conditions.

storeman is right. Oil changes are very important probably more important on diesals and especially more on dpf versions.

Alot of the horrer stories you read can be put down to poor maintainace.

why do you think taxi's seem to rack up the miles and still keep going - regular services most likely before the recomended intervals.

Mine is going to be getting oil/filter changes every 7k miles, ill be doing it next month though as i dont know exactly the oil change history and im sure its a bit clogged up.

the 90bhp version may not be fast but i find it more than powerfull enough and its handled being fully loaded (5 people plus boot full of lugguage) still managed to get to 70 easily and that was with a sticking caliper

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
got my car about 14 months ago couple of teething problems due to not knowing if it had a DPF as planet reported an additive problem
but it had been removed so sorted that problem and got a remap and had the cambelt complete with tensioner and water pump
couple of new tyres on the front its now on its third oil change :eek: just towed a trailer with seven people in the car to Lincolnshire and back on less than half a tank of Derv
So pretty happy overall Just sailed through the MOT with no issues All for the Sum of 1050 Quid

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just got my 307sw off a neighbour, his brother had it before. It's got fsh but is now due a service which I shall do, which oil is best for the 1.6hdi it looks like it's had 2 different grades in the past, both synthetic though. He sold it to me as the dpf needs sorting, don't know if I am going to pressure wash out or remove guts, I'm leaning towards wash out to start with until it proves its reliability what do you people with more experience of these think?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts